Opportunity to buy Demo Magico M2?

A dealer called me with an offer to sell their demo Magico M2’s at a massive discount. I was recently in their shop and tested the A5’s with my Gryphon Diablo 300, and I found the bass to be lacking with the A5’s. I think this was likely due to the fact that they had less than 250 hours on them.

My room, while not massive, is on the larger side. Vaulted ceilings that rises to 14 feet at the peak, about 26ft front to back, and open on the sides (house is open concept). There is a large and tall island that separates out the listening area.

Considering my room size, and considering my not so great experience with the A5’s, should I bother lugging my amp into the shop to test the M2’s? I have to travel a ways so it’s a bit of a commitment. But the discount they are offering is about $25k off. And they said it would include the M-Pods.  Thoughts?

nyev

I think most speakers benefit from a couple of well placed subs.  In both my systems, (Revel Salon 2s) and (YG Haileys) adding two REL subs enhanced everything.  They do sound good without subs.  But once they are dialed in, you surely miss them if you turn them off.  It is like that, not boomy bass, just better music  I feel well worth it; with speakers costing 10 -50 k, adding a pair of even super nice REL Carbon Specials at 3500 each (yes use the baseline blue upgraded cables) is a value.  I did upgrade the subs PC's but not anywhere as expensive as the rest of my system).

So I feel don't expect and select a speaker entirely for its bass.  (Sure it has to go low to blend with a subwoofer).  Go for the musicality, imaging, tone  and all around sweetness.  And add subwoofers.  BTW I run both my systems with full signal to my main speakers.  With great amplification it is not an issue.  Then blend the subs in with phase, crossover and volume.  Good Luck!

I myself like the higher end Focals.  Scala Utopia evo or even sopra 3

Check out sound sommelier on YouTube

nyev,

Out of curiosity, what prevents the dealer from bringing the Magico's to your home to audition them?

I ask this because the Magico M2 will sound different in your environment vs. the dealer's showroom.

Also, considering that they called you, it makes sense that they should experience the inconvenience of getting the speakers to you. Besides, if you like them, a simple money transfer closes the deal. If you do not want them, there's no inconvenience on your side.

Best,

Iluvboxing.

@iluvboxing , it would require the dealer to travel a full day to get the speakers to me in my house. And a full day to bring them back if they didn’t work out. Typically I’ve found dealers are not willing to do this. However, if I were to compensate them for their time and travel costs, maybe they’d be willing? And then I just keep the speakers if they are okay in my space. That would be very costly if I didn’t like them however.

@fastfreight , I’d consider subs but as I mented on the left of my system there is not space for one.

Still really liking the much less costly used but great condition B&W 802 D2’s from a seller near me. I’ve been in contact with the seller and am considering.

Hi, It took me a long time to replace my Nautilus 802s.

I had a full suite of 5 channel surround in Nautilus with 802s, 805s and HTM-1.

I switched to 2 channel and upgraded all my electronics before trying new speakers.  I think the  venerable Nautilus was the sweet spot in the lineup.