Oppo DV-970HD digital out question

I’m using this as a transport in my headphone rig using the SPDIF out to my DAC.  When I first hooked it up all was fine.  Then I went into the setup menu and changed a few settings — Raw to PCM, 48kHz to 96kHz, turned HDMI output off, and I think that’s it.  When I then went to play a CD I got no sound so fumbled around for awhile in the setup menu looking for something and couldn’t find anything there, so I started fooling with the remote and when I turned up the volume on the remote the sound came back.  I was surprised the Oppo’s volume control was functioning through the SPDIF out since I never had to touch the volume on the remote before when using it as a transport in other systems, so I’m concerned I did something to enable the Oppo’s volume control, which I definitely don’t want involved if there’s a way to bypass it.  Or, if I max out the Oppo’s volume control does that then bypass the volume control?  Not sure if I’m missing something here, and thanks for any help/thoughts. 

soix

Maybe when you changed SPDIF from raw to PCM, that allows the volume control to function since that forces downmixing from multichannel to stereo. Try setting it back to raw and see if the volume control still works.

Thanks @yage That’s a good thought and although I thought I tried that I’ll give it another shot.  

I emailed Oppo at service@oppodigital.com and got a very helpful and courteous response from them on my ancient Oppo in one day, and it was on a Saturday no less!  These guys should give lessons on how to do customer service to other current manufacturers.