Open baffle speakers

Open baffle speakers design is the simplest , to get bass response similar to other design , like ported, the baffle size must be huge to avoid low frequency degradations . Tipical size the baffle   width 10-20"  got weak  bass performance.   I am wondering how open baffle speakers design became so popular ?

128x128bache

I’ve watched a lot of reviews of various OB speakers, but just like Magnepans (any dipole), they are a "non-starter" for me because my 15’ x 25’ living room simply will not allow me to pull them out away from the rear wall enough (or side walls if I want good imaging). And no, I’m not going to move them back and forth all the time when I want to listen. According to all the reviews, they can be excellent speakers with plenty of bass and great definition without cabinet resonances. If you have a room that can do them justice, you might want to try a pair.

At least you can hope that most of your money is going to good quality drivers, a well designed crossover, and some nice wood work for the frame and baffle, and not going to make a heavy MDF or HDF cabinet with vinyl wrap or wood veneer. 

@moonwatcher   You dont like wood veneered MDF, this is most popular main stream cabinets design. What you like  -pure wood ?

Check out Clayton Shaw's Caladan OB speakers. All the nice things said of a very good speaker. Sorry, I am not good with words but listen to what the buyers said of their Caladans.

I have a pair of DIY 8" OB from the Decware site. VERY happy with them. I like them because of their efficiency and no xover - so very simple. The signal goes from my TT to pre-amp to amp to driver. cabinet is MDF and front is 2 x 3/4" maple.