Open baffle speakers

Open baffle speakers design is the simplest , to get bass response similar to other design , like ported, the baffle size must be huge to avoid low frequency degradations . Tipical size the baffle   width 10-20"  got weak  bass performance.   I am wondering how open baffle speakers design became so popular ?

128x128bache

Their secret is their dipole radiation.  I have the Emerald Physics 2.7's, Linkwitz Orion's, Magnestand Maggies (1.6 version), and the Maggie LRS+ - and - few other speakers can match their sound quality.  The Emerald Physics and Linkwitz speakers are "maggies on steroids."  Though, the Magnestand Maggies and LRS+ with the right setup sound as good.  The primary difference is the bass balance of the Linkwitz and Emerald Physics - which is a bit more robust than the Maggies.  While the resolution of the details and highs, and the impressive staging and imaging of the Maggies are impressive.  These aspects of their sound set them apart from most other speakers.  

My all time favorite open baffle speaker is really an open back speaker.  It had a Jensen M 10 field coil (13”) driver running full range with a high pass to a tweeter helping way on top.  This was a killer good speaker, but the $30 k for a matched pair of M 10 drivers makes it pretty expensive.

I have some older spatials, never wanted for bass at all. I think the ear-brain needs burn in time to fully appreciate the difference in sound, especially the bass region. Was watching a a movie the other night and appreciating the bass response and realized my sub wasn’t even on. 

They’ve never really done it for me, but I’ve heard few.

Also, I am of the opinion that when sound is coming from the rear and bouncing willy-nilly about the room, it may give a sense of depth to the soundstage but can’t really be good for imaging compared to a nice closed-back point or line source, or even time-aligned speaker. But this is not something that you will pick up from a YouTube video recorded in the sweet spot. I’ve specifically blocked off the rear wave from my modified Heil AMTs and my speakers image outstandingly.

If you have good monitors, there are plenty of examples of open backs that you can listen to on (God Forbid!!!) YouTube. But also listen to similar quality closed baffle speakers because ultimately, your monitors have a lot to do with the sound, and you are listening to not just the speakers but for differences in the presentation of the sound between the open and closed back representatives.