Open baffle speakers

Open baffle speakers design is the simplest , to get bass response similar to other design , like ported, the baffle size must be huge to avoid low frequency degradations . Tipical size the baffle   width 10-20"  got weak  bass performance.   I am wondering how open baffle speakers design became so popular ?

128x128bache

@soix ,

Yep. Exactly. I went to OB, and don’t think I can ever go back. The bass hits differently than a box speaker, but I guess it depends on what type of music you listen to. I do run a sub, but my OB configuration is a concentric tweeter in a 12" carbon mid with 2× 15" carbon woofers. Not bass shy by any means, but they don’t "slam" like the effect you get with a powered sub. They sound really, really good. I'm very happy, and they certainly cured my upgrade-itis.

Few people have heard either the Linkwitz Lab or GR Research open baffle loudspeakers, both of which include open baffle woofers. Linkwitz uses a pair of 10" woofers in an M/W frame, GR Research a choice of two or three 12" woofers in an H frame, with a dipole cancellation compensation circuit incorporated into the Rythmik Audio plate amp that comes with the DIY kit, along with Rythmik’s servo-feedback system. Bass response to 20Hz.

The GGR/Rythmik OB/Dipole Sub was developed in a collaboration between Danny Richie of GR Research and Brian Ding of Rythmik Audio. Danny was already offering OB subs in kit form, when he learned of Brian's new servo-feedback system. He thought combining OB woofer design with servo-feedback might produce state-of-the art bass reproduction, so proposed the two of them join forces.

Danny is a longtime die-hard OB enthusiast, more so than Brian. Brian himself finds the sound characteristic of the OB/Dipole Sub "leaner" than he cares for, preferring the extra weight of sealed and ported subs (of which he offers in a vast array of models). If you've heard the low frequency reproduction produced by the big Magnepan models (the old Tympani line, and the current 30.7), you have an idea of what the GRR/Rythmik OB/Dipole Sub sounds like. 

Their secret is their dipole radiation.  I have the Emerald Physics 2.7's, Linkwitz Orion's, Magnestand Maggies (1.6 version), and the Maggie LRS+ - and - few other speakers can match their sound quality.  The Emerald Physics and Linkwitz speakers are "maggies on steroids."  Though, the Magnestand Maggies and LRS+ with the right setup sound as good.  The primary difference is the bass balance of the Linkwitz and Emerald Physics - which is a bit more robust than the Maggies.  While the resolution of the details and highs, and the impressive staging and imaging of the Maggies are impressive.  These aspects of their sound set them apart from most other speakers.  

My all time favorite open baffle speaker is really an open back speaker.  It had a Jensen M 10 field coil (13”) driver running full range with a high pass to a tweeter helping way on top.  This was a killer good speaker, but the $30 k for a matched pair of M 10 drivers makes it pretty expensive.

I have some older spatials, never wanted for bass at all. I think the ear-brain needs burn in time to fully appreciate the difference in sound, especially the bass region. Was watching a a movie the other night and appreciating the bass response and realized my sub wasn’t even on.