on the cheap

I am looking for suggestions for an inexpensive streamer for my sister. I mean a couple hundred bucks. Does anybody make such a thing that would not have to be hooked up to the internet but would work via wi-fi or bluetooth? AND also have a built in dac. Stereo is not her life like some of us. The simpler the better. Would not have to be new. It would be nice also to have the ability to have cd storage. Is it also possible to not have to be run with tidal and be controlled by an app?

thanks

dpm2340

The question asked includes a few red flags.  “WiFi Streamer” that doesn’t hook up to the internet?  Well Bluetooth doesn’t need internet, but where’s the stream coming from?  Does this person have a stereo amplifier and speakers already?  Obviously the many responses of Node or WiiM are all perfectly good if so.  But if not, an amplified streaming DAC like WiiM Amp would be simpler.  Nodes can play from USB storage, which WiiM does not, so if internet-free use is really desired, a used Node 2i is the best bet.

Kinda blow away, actually, with how much they can cram into this little boxes for the money. I go back to the day when the price of admission an "entry level" CD player was $700, our best-selling VCR was $679, and 42" plasma televisions were $14,000.

Post removed 

WiiM Pro Plus. I have set up two low-cost systems for my college-student nieces (vintage Technics receiver + Wiim Pro + refurbed KLH 20 speakers and a KLH model 20 player/receiver/amp refurbed with a WiiM Pro.) They tested out well and reports are good.