Old Vandersteen model 2 vs. newer model 2

Hi I'm thinking about getting some older model 2's with serial numbers in the 321000 range.  I know they made some tweaks in the later models.  I have no way to compare them.  How different do the newer models sound?  Thanks!

ddinnsen

It would be impossible to put them that far out. 

I feel your pain...that's why I have a no wife in the music room rule. 

The VLR's are meant to be placed near corners, and whether in a bookshelf or on stands, they can match the 2's, esp with a Vandy sub (or 2).

I have mine mounted near the ceiling at the corners of the room-Unusual for many, but the only way I can have music in my office. Even without the Hsu subs, they put out a respectable amount of bass. 

Treo's are in the big room, and to be honest, I listen in the office more than downstairs.

Bob

May I also ask if you model 2 owners experience the magical imaging only in the listening sweetspot, or is it, perhaps to a lesser degree, also throughout the room?  This is an important question, because I do not have a listening room, but an open concept house with a large living area, and my listening sweet spot is in front of a fireplace where there can be no furniture.  Also, this room is asymmetrical in that one side of the room functions as a hall, so that one speaker is placed in a corner and the other 4 feet from a wall which is not a corner.

My business has been hit hard by COVID, so I can't afford the difference to more expensive Treos.  

I too have a system in my office where I have a pair of Alons that are well placed and I listen there quite a bit and love it.

I've never been a 'sweet spot' lover. I want a speaker that provides good depth and imaging over a wide field. All the Vandy's I've owned have provided the aforementioned traits (also owned the 3a sigs).

Having an unbalance listening room will require a bit of adjusting in placement as well as angling in/out, but it is doable. Adding some Vandy subs would be one of the first things I would do, when finances improve.

B

listening sweetspot, or is it, perhaps to a lesser degree, also throughout the room?  This is an important question, because I do not have a listening room, but an open concept house with a large living area, and my listening sweet spot is in front of a fireplace where there can be no furniture.  Also, this room is asymmetrical in that one side of the room functions as a hall, so that one speaker is placed in a corner and the other 4 feet from a wall which is not a corner.

The rentals were mostly square, the condo for 3 years was assymetric, the house for 10 years was symmetric, the house for 20 was symmetric, then new rental is assymetric, and the new house they are going to is assymetric.

They always seemed pretty good.

My business has been hit hard by COVID, so I can't afford the difference to more expensive Treos.  

If one is on a budget… then I would suggest searching for a used set of 2s and a 2w sub.
There would be little to be bashful about once the sounds starts coming out.

I tried an in store listen to some newer Treos and Kentos… they were good. And easier on the decorating front.