Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
Thx for the feedback. It might be time to check out class d more deeply. The idea of a tube are or buffer with it is conceptually intriguing. I was looking at various Rogue integrateds awhile back but got scared off over reports on quality being variable. There are no techs in HI and shipping stuff for repairs gets really costly. My last experience with that added $400 round trip for a $1200 piece of gear. Reliability is as important as sound especially on heavy pieces.
Just a different take on the Hibachi vs class D question.

I personally prefer the 100s with the Hibachis vs my Bel Canto s-300 class D integrated for precisely the same reasons Map prefers his Bel Canto. Run full-range, I like the warmer sounding Hibachis to the tighter Bel Canto. There's certainly a different model class D amp in play here, but I think this one comes down to room/system/personal taste.

Just one more data point.
Personally, I find it extremely difficult to dial in a subwoofer so that it sounds like a Walsh. I happen to own a Velodyne SMS-1 and have flattened out the response of the room fairly well after my wife gave me permission to move the sub, but can still always tell when the sound is coming through my Outlaw sub.

My question is, why go with a 5000 if it still requires a sub? I'd rather miss the lowest 5 or 6 Hz than listen to timing mismatches.
"My question is, why go with a 5000 if it still requires a sub?"

No doubt, all smaller speakers including Walshes can play better when amp and speaker work is offloaded to a powered sub.

5000 does not necessarily require a sub though. I feel no need for subs with my 5s, nor with my 100s even in the right sized rooms.

Adding powered subs always ups the ante in terms of output capacity in most any case. But there are ups and downs with any solution, including subs, along the lines commonly discussed.

Adding separate subs means that you are now the speaker designer responsible for the integration top to bottom. How well that all plays out will depend.
I'm about to pull the trigger on Hephaestus Harpocrates amps to feed my Ohm 5000s. Anyone heard this amp?

http://hephaestusaudio.com/forge/hma-harpocrates/