NRG a201s Amplifier; Too Old to Risk?

Hello audio lovers. I have an opportunity to buy one of the above-referenced 150 lb beasts locally for roughly $2000. I love what I’ve read about its silky smooth 200 watts of pure Class A. In the abstract it would be wonderful to drive my Thiel CS2.4SE. I realize that $2k is more than they have sold for in some time. More importantly, I’m worried about the capacitor life/condition. The seller reports that it is a very low-hour unit, and indeed it looks the part (beautiful). It is still of course roughly 30 years old. 

It will be a 2 hour drive to inspect and listen; is it even worth the time? Does anyone know of a technician available on the East coast for service? Thanks so much everyone 

klipschking

Too expensive for a 30 year old amp! You can find better deals for less on the secondhand/eBay marketplace.

Condition, Condition, Condition. If it’s a minty maybe. They’re asking $2K, so offer $1500 or so. Remember drooling over the ads of NRG’s but never seen one in person. If you have the means to do it and the money will not hurt parting with then go for it. You may never get another chance.