Not Enough Options for Auditioning Speakers

am in the market for a great two channel music system. They will be set up in a dedicated listening room that is 12'x17'x9'. The room is carpeted but not treated.

My budget is around $15k-$20k for speakers, wires, amp+preamp (or integrated).

I prefer towers as I like the full range and have had bad luck with integrating a sub. I started my search with B&W 805's and Sonus Faber Olympica I's (which are still on my short list)

My problem is that most of the dealers in my area do not carry very many brands, so it is hard to compare. I cannot even find one that carries the KEF reference.

I am leaning right now to the Sonus Faber Olympica III's but also really like the B&W 803 D3. I wish I could hear them side by side. The dealer with the SF's is great and has let me do home testing with several speakers and he is recommending the Olympica's.

I read a lot online about auditioning several different speakers but cannot find any place in central Florida that has most of the lines they are suggesting. I know if I pick the SF Olympica's I will be very happy, but I have not even heard the III's! I am just a little frustrated that the consistent advice is to listen to a lot of others, but I can't.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Thanks!
-Mobius
mobiusmu
I bought my pair of Gamut RS7i's from Kyomi Audio in Chicago after a visit to George's in home demo site. This was a 500 mile drive out and back for me but the only way to go IMO. George understands quality sound (as a World renowned Concert Pianist) and recently had an in home demo day for Gamut and another for potential Vivid speaker buyers. The Absolute Sound was at the demos so it was a win for the dealer and potential buyer.  Wished there were more quality dealers out there of the same interest but there is not.
Use the shows potential TO SEE/HEAR if available but I would always plan on some dollars spent going on some trips to seek out the finalist on your list. I would certainly build that into your budget and take all into account if your investment is going to be long term.
If it's not important enough to drive across state lines or go to an audio show, buy what's nearby. Or, build your own criteria to filter results on unheard speakers and buy one. 

If it's important enough to you, you will spend some money and time on it. If not, so be it. 

gwalt, a 500 mile drive; impressive. You know how to get it done. But, then again, that's a case where the cost of the speaker justifies more investigative costs. 

It's though for guys on a budget (I know, I was a lower cost audiophile for many years) with perhaps a couple thousand to spend. Does it merit spending the better part of a grand to shop at a show? That's tough to justify when it could hit the quality of the speaker price point. In such a case - and I did many, many times - I became a detective and scoured for info on the product, then bought unheard. It worked out well 90%+ of the time. 

Hear a different technology, i..e horn or panel. Sometimes the positive reaction is so strong to a newly heard technology that it's like the buyer was hooked on crack; it almost doesn't matter the absolute quality, the experience is riveting to them. I have to laugh when proponents of certain speaker technologies make declarations of absolute sound superiority. We're talking some very deluded people there... But, that is often a key to finding the best fit for a speaker.

Anyway, listen carefully; learn your ABC's of speakers first. i.e. what the impact of Impedance and Sensitivity mean to speakers, and what different driver sizes will do. Read my article Audiophile Law: Thou Shalt Not Accept Worthless Specs at Dagogo.com to help you avoid some pitfalls. Less experienced speaker buyers seem to ignore or not interpret correctly such things, and they are determinative of the outcome. 

It helps to forget the idea that you are after the "best" or "state of the art" sound. No one sells speakers based on the premise that they will give you average sound; they all claim their speakers will give you miraculous sound. Most won't. Just work to make it pleasing to you. 

After the hurricane passes - the Lord willing not taking any more lives! - you may or may not be aware that Bruce Thigpen's Eminent Technology speaker company is in Florida. He puts out one of the most value oriented, truly good sounding hybrid panel speakers this side of Mars. I owned and reviewed them, so read up on them, too. In that situation do not let the lower cost fool you, as they are quite good performers. There is a case where technology could have an edge in your ears' opinion. I have a vintage set of LFT VI in my office with a pair of HSU Subs. Not pushing the boundaries, but sufficient. 
I agree.....but here's a little different angle to auditioning speakers. 

What if you're selling a set and a potential out of town buyer that you don't even know wants to come to your house to audition/inspect the speakers.  I'm not just talking about the inspection but as the seller, the safety of having a stranger in your home.  I know this is a little off topic, but important, IMO.
One of the difficulties is that most dealers carry the major brands that are heavily advertised, that is what drives business. Their are many passionate companies who don't get much shelf space. Very sad. 

Doug

I suppose it does become relative to the investment and long-term goals as to traveling for research. My 1000 mile round trip cost me no more than $250 (fuel, food, and an overnight stay). What I learn from the trips I have taken for two long-term speakers was a wealth of knowledge and an ultimate listening experience which have been priceless.

If you attend RMAF in Denver and extend your stay or arrive early you will find a town full of two channel quality dealers.....possibly one of the best selections in the country. Colorado Springs, Boulder, Ft. Collins and surrounding areas all contribute with some options. You don't have to buy there but the goal being to listen and seek information.

My goal was to buy my last speaker and finish the ride. Now I find the shows much less interesting confirming my ride has finished.

gwalt