Noob, need help please

Hi there,

I have a pair of Klipsch RP-8000F floorstanding speakers. 
I am a little unclear about what I need to complete my setup. 
I want to use these as home theatre speakers when watching off Netflix or Satellite TV, and also as music speakers when playing off Spotify through the TV. 

Do I need a pre-amp and an amp, or just an amp? What does a receiver do?
Do I need a separate DAC too or an amp with built in DAC?

I am a newbie to all of this so willing to learn, please forgive my lack of knowledge.

My budget is max 1k but then I don’t really know what I need to bring out the best in these speakers. When watching movies I like a little warmth but also like some detail. When listening to music I like a lot of bass. 
I need channels to add in a sub (I have Klipsch R-12SW) and a center speaker (yet to buy but probably will get the Klipsch RP-504C) at a later stage. 
If you need more information please let me know. 
Many thanks in advance!
laher

Showing 3 responses by mwoh419

@millercarbon

"Home theater advice only really pertains if you are truly setting up a home theater with a lot of seating. In other words hardly anyone in the sweet spot. That's the real reason for all the channels. Because without the center channel people sitting way off center will hear the dialog coming from whichever speaker is closest instead of from the screen in the middle. Also all the effects coming from left or right, they will only sound right from the sweet spot, so everyone else needs the surround speakers to try and even things out.

It never works. No matter how many channels or how they are processed or how wonderful the speakers or how perfectly placed still no matter what it only ever sounds really good in the sweet spot. All you can possibly do by adding all the channels is degrade and debase whatever quality was there to begin with. Because that is the inevitable result of running it through anything multichannel.

I know. I tried. Been there. Done that. Satellites. Full range surrounds. All kinds of A/V receivers, and processors, and separates. Absolute total waste of time. And money.

Which according to the OP, $1k budget, you can afford to waste very little.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Seriously. Do not take my word for it. Go and listen. Go find the very best A/V receiver you can possibly afford. Then ask to compare it side by side with any integrated amp they happen to have in the store. ANY. If it takes you more than a nanosecond to realize the AV is crap then by all means buy it. Its what you deserve.

I mean that literally and not as an insult. No one should pay for performance they can't hear. Go and listen."

I have to politely/respectfully/whole heartedly disagree... and no offense/insult taken.

It is possible to set up a good "do it all" system.  It may not compete with TOTL equipment using separates and monoblocks...  but a properly set up HT system can perform very well.  Even when not in a dedicated room.

To me... it's amusing when company is over, watching a movie, and they start looking around, (even out the front windows), when they try to determine where a particular ambient sound came from, (bird chirping... horn honking... etc.)

It's also enjoyable watching people relax and veg a little when getting into the 3D holographic soundstage when listening to music.

Granted... I'm cheating a little by using 7 omnipolar speakers... but I would also debate/argue that a 7 channel system is harder to set up properly... especially when not using room correction software.

laher,

The speakers you have, (and that series), are pretty efficient.  You wouldn't need alot of power to drive them.  However... to get decent dynamics you would probably want something rated at 100 watts minimum.

The main question then would be... how many speakers total, do you plan on having by the time you build the system.  5? , 7?, 11?  How many subs?

Don't just buy what you think you need now.  Plan for future expansion.

Also... you need to pay close attention to the watts per channel specs.  Back in "the day"... it used to be that a HTR rated at 100 wpc, delivered that to all channels. Nowadays... that 100 watt rating is only for 2 channels driven in "stereo" mode... and the rest may only be 50 watts or less when/if using surround sound... depending if its 5 or 7 channel.

Ultimately... you may want to check out used equipment from a few years back... as long as you don't need Wi-Fi and a bunch if other "trinket" gimmick features.  You may be able to find a solid performing used HTR and separate 5/7 channel amp for around/close your total $$$ amount budget.  It all depends on what features you are looking for... and which ones are absolutes.

Some that come to mind:

Higher end Onkyo stuff, which includes Integra.

Sony ES series
Nad
Yamaha
Marantz
B&K
Adcom

All of the above mentioned also make some pretty good multi channel amps too.

As far as brand "house sound" ... it can vary, and depends on what you prefer.  Most of the above metioned brands have a neutral to warm sound... with the B&K being the warmest of the bunch.
Yeah...  the Yammy stuff does lean to the cool side, so I could see it getting a bit analytical with the Adcom amp.  I can see where the B&K amp would pair nicely with the Yamaha.