No love for Legacy Audio

Hello all. I have been on a few discussions here and read many more. I have not seen many of the posters here talk much about Legacy Audio speakers. I am referring to the Signature SE model and the Focus SE model. I am curious why people don’t seem to like them as much as several other brands that get talked about much more here. What is it you like better about the ones you are consistently raving about. Thank you. 

backdoor

I always try to chime in to Legacy threads and say the same things.  I've only owned Legacy since I began my hi-fi journey over 25 years ago.  Before that, I had tried a pair of low-end Yamahas, B&W and Wharfedale.  I still own a pair of vintage B&W DM2000s and they still sound very good but they're distant spares, so I rarely listen to them anymore.  Otherwise, I am all Legacy.  Started with OG Classics in the latter 90s, moved up to OG Focus years later and now current model Focus SEs.  The Focus have gotten smaller over the years but I get why some say they're still big speakers.  I am fortunate to have a large-ish listening room so they can really breathe.  I also have Legacy's Silverscreen HD center channel and my Classics now serve as surrounds.  No surround rot or anything after 26 years!  And so far, I have two Studio HDs for Atmos.  The Studio HDs are really difficult to find out in the wild. I am looking for another pair to complete my setup.  But not budgeting $2400/pair for Atmos speakers, no way.  Legacy are all-around good speakers.  Great for 2-channel and just as great, if not even greater for 5.1 music and full HT speakers.  I've always been about 70/30 HT to music but it can go as low as 50/50 depending on where I'm at in tweaks or whatever motivates me.

One thing to note is their resale value is poor in the beginning.  I think it takes a good 10-15 years to finally hit bottom and then start climbing back up.  But I couldn't care less about resale.  I suspect I am in the minority there as I don't flip speakers very often.  

I got into high-end audio 8yrs ago.  Legacy speaker reviews and maybe hearing them at audio shows never resounded with me, unlike Magico and YG.  So it could simply be a preference difference or that Legacy doesn’t compete well with newer products.  

kennyc:

" or that Legacy doesn’t compete well with newer products.  ".... At least 4 of their models just got 2024 Product of the Year awards from TAS, so I think they are competing....