New to HiFi, need digital advice.

I am not an audiophile but I recently acquired a really nice high end system for free. (AR LS16 preamp, Madrigal Proceed HPA2 amp, Arcam CD92 CD player, Aerial Acoustics 7B tower speakers.  I have been learning as much as I can over the last week since I got it.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to put together a decent but not necessarily high end digital input system for as little money as possible.

So here is my plan. I know it is not high end and probably not commensurate with my system but hopefully will meet my needs:

Old iMac using iTunes to manage flac or alac files plugged into Schiit Modi 2 via USB cable and then into preamp via USB cable. I can us Apple's remote app on my iPhone to select/play music remotely (Works great).

Does this sound reasonable? If so it will only cost me about $100 for the Schiit DAC and $25 for a decent set of RCA cables (already purchased) and whatever I might need to spend on the USB cable. Anything I should know about the USB cable for this?

Thanks for the advice and apologies for my ignorance in all of this.

George
n80
I see. Unfortunately neither Amarra or Audirvana will run on this old iMac so it seems either it or they are out of the picture and I guess I'm back to square one. I'll check with some of the other apps mentioned here. Or maybe I'll just try it the way I said just to see what it sounds like. If I don't like the SQ I will not have lost more than $100 in the low end DAC.

Thanks for the help and the info.
I recently set up a NAS—network associated server-and am currently burning CDs to it.  I added dbpoweramp to burn the CDs. I compared one CD that I had ripped in iTunes to the same ripped with dbpoweramp and it wasn’t a subtle difference.  The dbpoweramp rip was so much more alive with presence and impact.
It was like everything else in Audio—the iTunes sounded fine until you discover what you are missing.  Dbpoweramp is also better at finding metadata.
  I use Audirvana Plus for playback.  The 2 programs together cost about $150 and IMO justify the expense, but you sound as though the budget might be tight, and you would definitely need a new computer.  You may just want to stick with iTunes and get an accessory hard drive for now, and if you can, save the CDs and re rip them later when you can afford to upgrade, or after spending some time investigating what works for you.
  Alternatives to consider are streaming services, such as Tidal, or dispensing with the Computer and dealing with an audio component customized for digital playback and/or ripping
Bitperfect for 9.99 is a decent upgrade to iTunes but check it will run on your old iMac.
Thanks guys. I think I'l check on Bitperfect. I'll also see how far I can upgrade the OS on the old iMac. I was really hoping to find a use for it.

Given the recommendations above I'd be into this for close $500 (which is not bad all things considered) but I'm still not sure how deep I want to dive into this hobby. I think in the meantime I will work on my CD collection. I know that is 'old tech' these days but I already have a good CD player and CDs sound awesome on this system already without me spending a penny.

Just ordered Dark Side of the Moon and Aja CDs to replace my iTunes versions.

If I decide to put together a digital system I can always rip these CDs later.

Will look into streaming as well.

Thanks again.
Another dumb question: How do I get streaming from my computer into the pre-amp? Would this also require a DAC?