New KT150 tubes?

Has anyone any experience with these pretty new tubes. There are already one or 2 amps I know of, that use them. The review of one of these amps in a UK magazine suggested they were a little warmer and more natural sounding than the nearly new KT120's

The article also suggested they were a straight swap for KT120 based amps, with no adjustment necessary. They are more than twice the cost of KT120's, but still not too costly compared with NOS tubes. I know changing from KT88's or 90's to 120's. did require some amp modification. I have an ARC reference 75 and might want to try the new tubes at some point, ARC don't seem to have a customer E-mail service, to ask the question
david12
This is the first I've heard of KT120 quality issues, and I think it's interesting Davide has experienced "erratic" manufacturing when they're made in the same factory as GL tubes (maybe the Gold Lion quality control team should visit other parts of the factory...lazy bastards!). I'd say that's some bad tube luck as New Sensor must have made a batch after lunch on a Wednesday. I don't doubt other people must have had issues at some point with 120s as they're everywhere, but I've made it a quest to find criticism of 120s as they're such a hit. The official score is 752 to 3 against 120s! Also it's interesting to see such interest in 150s when (like me) 120s work so well (except Davide's). Premium 120s with gold pins, etc., have surprisingly never appeared...Psvane should make some of those as I'd try 'em!
will keep my fingers crossed that these will be better quality and can be used in place of KT-120's. Love the sound of the KT-120 but quality of manufacturing precision is erratic compared to the GL KT-88's they retired for my amp. Given what we saw with the KT-120's no doubt will have to wait a year before the various manufacturers render opinion on whether they are safe to use with the different models in their product lines. I suspect we could all get better results out of an improved QC version of KT-120 (or KT-150 if similar to 120 for tonal balance)
7000 hours is two years or so at 10 hours a day...or 30 years at one hour a day...300 years at a minute a day?
My amp manufacturer suggests 7000hrs for the KT120.....maybe the last power tubes you ever buy!!!!
They should be good for at least 2000 hours is'nt it? That in practice, is a long term and if not stressed to near maximum output, as they are'nt in the ARC, I suspect it's a lot longer than that. Standing in front of your amp, saying "die dam you", probably is'nt going to work.
your right wolf,$300 is about the lowest ive seen them plus shipping. most have them for $380 for four plus shipping.
the big question here is to all of us who went out and spent $160 for four kt120's last year are going to want to spend more money now 10 more wpc. thats like twice the price. i think its a rip off. they know everybody will want them because they are new and cool looking. the kt 120's should be around $30-$40 ea and the kt150's around $50-$60,not the $90-$100 premium they are asking for. but we all know in this business tube guys seem to have deep pockets and will pay whatever they cost. i have two jolida amps running in mono. that would be 8 tubes for $750. the 120's are $300. are they really worth double the cost
The current best price for a quad is 300 bucks...that's where they should be I think. My 4 120s have been in heavy daily use for a year and a half with no signs of weakening...serious hours...they refuse to die...what the hell is wrong with them?
I agree that the 150's are not cheap, though compared with some other NOS tubes, $100 is petty cash. If I did look at them, it would'nt be for the extra power, a recent review in a UK magazine, HIFI World, of a KT150 integrated, suugests that they produce a different, more refined sound to the 120's. If they were interchangeable with the 120's without modification, it would give you a way of periodically changing the sound of your rig, which was relatively painless
KT150s are on Ebay for less than that, so maybe those are cryoed or something.
the kt 150 tube is in. $100 each. so all you folks out there that have 120's if you want to spent $400 for four for another 10 wpc,go for it!!
Just heard back from Uncle Kevin Deal. No news yet. He said he hasn't gotten a hold of the new tube yet, so has nothing to report. He suggested that folks who own amps using the KT-120 contact their manufacturers for additional information if interested.
I explored if the new KT150 tubes can be used in any of the Jadis amplifiers (besides of i50 designed for KT150).

I got reply that KT150 are not interchangable with KT120, at least in Jadis amplifiers.
I have to say, I love the sound of my amp, but it would be good to have the option of a different sounding tube.
Just sent a note to Uncle Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio and asked about the KT-150. I'll post any response I get that's fit to post. :-)

Xti16, I've been running with KT-120s in my last 2 ARC amps. The older amp was originally fitted out with SED Winged "C" 6550 tubes. The KT-120s made a huge positive difference across the board, in my opinion. I'm kinda' glad that all of ARC's current amp offerings use the KT-120 as a power tube.
Could be very interesting for me. I have an Octave V110 designed for the KT120 and I don't care for the KT120 sound (but like a little more 'control' because of a little more power). I also have the option (though a switch on the back) to go to the EL34/6550/KT88 tubes (my Ei KT90's sound great at the higher plate voltage - KT120 setting). The KT150 may be more to my liking if they are warmer and more natural sounding. To me the KT120 is forward and bright.

That's my opinion
Curious. My Jolida 502 handles KT120s fine (although not necessarily designed for that tube), but I have to wonder if I'd be pushing my luck with 150s...I have no need to go beyond 120s but since my quad are getting older I'll have to change 'em eventually. I don't particularly like the 150's "pickle innuendo" look, but maybe it would grow on me. I bet, unless some unforseen issue exists, these will be a hit.