New Coincident Frankenstein 300B Stereo Version

Coincident has a new stereo version of the Frankenstein. I currently use Coincident Super Victory IIIs speakers driven by Pass Labs XA30.8. My preamp is EAR Yoshino 868PL.

Logic tells me the Frankenstein Stereo would be a steller match with my speakers. I have never had SET amps in my setup before.

Just wondering if I will be going the SET route, would I lose bass?

Love the Pass XA30.8 but curious about what people call "SET magic".

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

sim_audio_nerd

Showing 4 responses by sns

@charles1dad Only as power amp with CSL. Using passive/volume control on 845 substantially inferior to CSL, even inferior to my relatively cheapo Schitt Saga+ passive. I see integrated feature as add on, temp solution for those without pre.

. I'd bet the 845 would be very nice match with all Coincident speakers, plenty of drive along with the SET magic. 845 not quite the magic of 300B tube, but authority, impact, drive and enough of the 300B magic to be quite enticing. The 845 preferable to my 300B amps with my Merlin VSM MM 91db sens., easy impedance curve. 300B preferable with my 104db sens. Klipschorns.

I have Coincident Statement II pre and 845 Turbo, both are not of golden tube sound, more about accuracy, transparency. I also have custom built 300B monoblocks, none have bass bloat or high freq. rolloff. I'd expect the Coincident 300B would be voiced similarly as my 300B and Coincident equipment. I'd expect more harmonic development with the SET vs Pass.

Yes, Charles1dad would be able to more accurately describe Coincident 300B. Also important to use one of the upper crust 300B tubes with any 300B amp.

The CSL is indeed a special piece, made that much better with MK II upgrades. I also got the Amtrans switch upgrade, much more precision piece than the standard upgrade switch.

I've given up on using Psvane WE101D with no longer having trustworthy distributor/seller here in NA. In last six month purchased two singles,one DOA, another failed at around 50 hours. Perhaps Woo Audio could be enticed to sell 101D, doubtful since none of their headphone amps use that tube. I did purchase my 300B Acme from them, no issues in well over 200 hours now. Chinese stock of Chinese tubes cannot be trusted IMO. Until then, I'm completely satisfied with Linlai  Elite 300B solid plates purchased through Grant Fidelity, wonderful tube. Mesh plate not so much.

Duh! I had previously thought of asking Israel about good source for WE101, completely forgot about that route!

Sixmoons had an article some time back in regard to Linlai Elite tubes having early run failures. Grant Fidelity also mentions newer runs having greater reliability.

The Elite solid plate beats WE in some ways, just a bit more presence in mids, WE a little more recessed. Very natural timbre, highs slightly less spotlit than WE, bass comprable. For me, WE and Elite solid plate both equally brilliant, just slightly different flavors.