New Audio Technica ART9XA Up and Running.....

Just installed a new AT ART9XA cartridge and it sounds excellent, so enjoyable listening to music with this cartridge. It replaces a highly regarded LOMC that was an upgrade from my original ART9.
The ART9XA beats the "highly regarded" one.

The XA is the lower output air core version of the new ART9 series having .2 mv output vs. the new ART9XI with .5 mv.
The XA also has a shibata profile vs. the SLC of the XI.

Hat's off to the threads on this forum that started the legend of the ART9 (Pani and Oregon Pappa) 

I am loving my recordings more than ever with the new XA. Peace.  
avanti1960

Showing 9 responses by avanti1960

@keegiam,
fun place to be, i hope it meets your expectations.  
listening to grant green grsnt stand and grsnt's guitar sounds so natural, full of space and present.  lovin it.  
peace and keep us posted.  
thank you.
using a Sutherland 20/20 with linear power supply option.
definitely an impressive showing cleanly boosting the .2mv with no strain or artifacts at very high listening levels! 
a most complimentary pairing.  
@pani 

15 hours in and it sounds better than the ortofon cadenza blue !  

64db of gain and a 8 to 13 gram arm and you're going to be in vinyl bliss with the XA.    

i am mesmerized by how good this cartridge sounds.  explosive but delicate, refined yet very detailed, zero groove noise, huge separation and sound stage, all frequencies sound impressive and a golden smoothness that is incredible.  
@pindac   
the cadenza blue has a slightly larger soundstage and is a very good cartridge.  
the ART9XA sounds better overall mainly because of how clean and refined it sounds.  it also has a better centered image, better bass and more upper end extension.  cymbals sound stunning.  it also has a touch of warmth vs the cadenza dead neutral.  
where the cadenza can sound occasionally slightly but noticeably strained and distorted, the 9XA never does this.  
with the cadenza you would not notice it and think it was on the recording, blue note jazz for example, but once you hear the same music on the 9XA you realize it is more refined.  this is similar to the original ART9, the refinement was the key element that made it a keeper but it does everything well.  
@beans57    
60 db with the .2mv output of the xa would be lower than i would run.  that amount of gain is minimum for a .3mv cartridge.   currently using 64db with the xa and that is the min i would recommend but 64db gets full performance out of it, no compromises or anything lacking.  
i would recommend the art9 xi or the xa with a sut.  

@dibsinfo 

I had both and the decision should come down to how much gain your phono preamp provides.  the XA sounds spectacular with the right amount of gain- e.g. 66db minimum, 64db was not enough for me. The XA has better internal wiring and a cleaner, more pure sound and better dynamics but the low .2mV output really demands a quality preamp with enough gain. 

The XI is higher output and can shine with as little as 56db gain. 

Pick the one your preamp can support. 

the shibata sounds awesome after it is burned in and burnished- e.g. 30 hours. smooth as silk and all the detail you could want.