Need to vent tube heat?

We're building a house and I'm planning on a custom cabinet for the main stereo, which will be in the living room. When playing, cabinet doors will be open to display components.

System includes ARC REF 3, CD-7, VS-115 (possibly replaced by REF 110 or 210), SME 20/2, and phono preamp to be determined. These put off considerable heat, which is an issue given that I live in Texas.

Do you recommend that I use a fan/vent system to pull heat out? Would it make enough of a difference, in terms of AC costs, to vent the heat? I suppose it might also help with tube life.

I appreciate any advice.

chucktone
Zargon, I do use 5" 120v fans - they move a lor of air with less noise and vibration (only) when you use two in series. I've never used 5" 12v fans but I'd imaging the result would be similar. I got into the 120v models because I originally used just one and put it on a rheostat made for a fan (which was just a PITA - it didn't get enuf air movement when it was dialed down enuf to work quietly). The thing I wouldn't recommend is the smaller 12v computer fans. Not much air, lots of noise.
Many years ago I had my components in a tight open face, closed back and sides, shelved cabinet. I cut two holes in the 1/4" rear plywood and installed nearly silent small computer fans, switched to a power bar. At first use, I found a very slight vibration noise was being transferred to the plywood. I added 3/4" reinforcing bracing to the exterior of the plywood which stopped the vibration.

The cabinet was pushed close to the rear wall and collected dust. Within a year I was to changing out the fans because of wear which caused noise.

IMMHO any design with fans should include easy accessibility for cleaning and replacement.

Good Luck
Thanks for the replies. I had not really thought about ease of access to the fan(s).

As to the A/C question, do you think it's a good idea, in terms of energy savings, to vent the heat out? Have any other hot climate audiogoners gone this route? The heat would be vented out of the room, into either the attic or out the side of the house.

Thanks
I live in the Central Valley in California - that may qualify for hot climate unless you live near Pheonix. :-)

I would find the addition of a venting system to the house more limiting than beneficial. Of course you could do it much the same as you would vent a dryer in the laundry room, not a big deal, but you wouldn't be able to move the location of the amp or cabinet much. You would still need the fan(s) and to accomodate the tubing from the cabinet to the wall you'd probably have to all for additional distance for the connecting tube. Oh, also consider, that the closer the fan(s) are to the amps the more efficient thier cooling action will be.

FWIW - I'd keep it as simple as possible and easily reversible.
This is an easier way to do it and requires minimum hassle:
http://members.cox.net/nsgarch/cooling_fans_top.jpg
The fans are Vantec 80mm square "Stealth" computer case fans (they also come in 60mm, 92mm and 120mm sizes) They are 12V but I run them in parallel from a 9V RadioShack wall wart for silent operation. Unlike most fans of this type, these feature roller bearings for extra quiet operation and believe me, they DO make a difference http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/chg_page/35/-1
This method allows easy access for cleaning and replacement, and allows the "cooling" to follow the equipment, should your component layout change in the future.

PS: I live in Tucson, just a couple degrees less than Phoenix (usually ;-)