Need suggestions for small room speakers

I have a small bedroom, dimensions about 9x10 or so. Need suggestions about speaker choices. My budget is around 1k. Musical tastes range from Miles Davis, Pink Floyd to New Order.
balrog
Second the Spendor s3/5 .. it's a sealed box, so it works pretty well close to walls, and doesn't sound boomy. The Sonus fabers are another good suggestion.
I have a 2nd system in a room the same size as yours. Firstly, suggest you avoid anything with a rear port, unless you can buy or try w/rite of return. This will eliminate a lot of choices. I am currently using the Spendor S3/5. I have them on stands a few inches away from the rear wall and still get a half-way decent soundstage. Whether you like them is a matter of taste (may not be best for Pink Floyd) and how you drive them, but my opinion is there are few speakers available at any price, that have their midrange.
You should consider the Tyler Acoustics Taylo Ref Monitors too. They are front ported, have exceptional drivers, and sound great (to me anyway) in a room about the same size as yours.
One good option is to buy the used pair of Joseph Audio RM7si's for $900 currently on this site. Terrific sounding mini-monitor, especially in smaller rooms.
I second the ProAc 1SC. I too have a small listening room and have experimented with many differnt types of monitors. I found the ProAc's to work the best in my room.