Need Recommendations on a CD Player

About 10 years ago I purchased a Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player. Unfortunately, it has developed a problem of emitting static through the 2-channel speakers on startup. The good news is that by cycling the power off & on, the static disappears & all is well. However, I am skeptical that the cost of repair might not make sense considering the price of a new unit.

That being said, I would appreciate some recommendations on a quality single-disc player. The thing that I have been questioning is whether I really need to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,200 (U.S.) as I did for the Cambridge Audio player. I have a very good audio system, so I don't want the CD player to be unable to jeopardize the sound quality of everything "downstream". I guess that I am trying to find a balance between cost & quality.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or considerations. It's much appreciated.

Kit
kitjv
you might try a Cambridge CXC transport, you can find them for under $300 here, and play with various DAC's. While excellent, the 851C sounds quite different than the 840C...
Oppo BDP 105 or the new 205! Hopefully you have speakers and electronics that can hang with this source. Highly attractive at that price point (class A rated too by Stereophile). Has XLR or RCA analog outs, and many many other useful connections for video and audio, like the ability to add a streamer via its USB audio input. A machine that has so far stood the test of time as there are very little in the way of neg reviews of this unit. Also, It can be modded and made even better though that is $2500 expense.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oppo-bdp-105-universal-blu-ray-player-and-dac

Matt M P.S. I want one...LOL
Here is a very inexpensive alternative to the excellent options already mentioned by others herein this thread. If you consider value and performance, this will be difficult to best. Emotiva ERC-3. Even more recommended if your disks are "finicky" to read off of.