Need a DAC Recommendation.

Im retired and can only spend $1200 to $1500 on a DAC. What would you recommend? I assume I will be in the Used market.  Thanks!
128x128rsa
I wouldn't buy any DAC based solely on someone else's recommendation, simply because there is so much variation in sonics from one to another, not to mention variations in person taste.  

This makes the process of buying used more challenging.

If you buy used from The Music Room, for example, at least you can send it back if you don't like it. 

Love my RME DAC...its awesome.   They just released a firmware update, it took about 10 seconds...    

It is plug and play with any phone tablet or PC....   hard to beat for the money
I believe the following list includes every DAC mentioned so far in this thread. If a price was mentioned, I included that too.

Audio GD R2R-1 (R2R)
Audio GD R8 MK2 dac (R2R)
Audio Mirror Tubadour
Ayre Codex - for less than $1K
Ayre codex - under a grand used
Benchmark DAC3 B
Black Ice Audio Glass FX DAC -on sale for $699 at Underwood HiFi.
Border Patrol SE (R2R) - used for $850. (lowest tier is $1075 new)
Chord mojo for 500 or so
Chord qutest $1400
Denafrips Ares ll - a little under $800
Denafrips Pontus II - $1700 US
Doge Audio Tube DAC - above $1400?
Gustard A22
Gustard X26 Pro
Holo Audio
MHDT Atlantis
MHDT Labs Orchid
Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 - $1350
Monarchy DACs
Musical Paradise DAC
Okto dac8 Stereo D/A processor -
Parasound Zdac (discontinued version)
RME ADI2 Dac FS - about $1200
RME adi-2
SMSL M400
Schiit Gungnir multibit
Schiit Yggdrasil GS for 1600$
Teac NT-505
Topping D90SE - $899
Topping d70s
Wadia di122 over on Ebay for <$1K
I'm looking for a DAC and I would probably get the  "Okto dac8 Stereo D/A Processor", but they have -- unfortunately -- stopped taking new orders for it (for now).

ASR https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/okto-dac8-stereo-dac-review.14705/
I enjoyed the sound of the SMSL M400. (I had a unit with defective Bluetooth, so I returned it.) I could order another one, but I really wanted the Okto dac8 stereo, even though I haven't heard it. I like it in part because of the connections and other features, and I expect it to sound good.
If anyone has heard the Okto and the SMSL M400, how do they compare?
@oddiofyl 

“The latest build of RME adi-2 DAC is now using an ESS Sabre chip.”

where you see that?
“The latest build of RME adi-2 DAC is now using an ESS Sabre chip.”

where you see that?

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

5 paragraphs down...

"The updated ADI-2 DAC uses ESS’s ES9028Q2M in a special circuit variant developed by RME engineers that allows the chip to perform at its best. With noise levels of 123 dBA, distortion less than -120 dB, or THD+N of -116 dB, the device delivers outstanding measured values, and allows the IEM output to reach a sensational low noise level of -121 dBu. In addition, there is +2.5 dB of digital headroom, so that high intersample peaks do not produce any audible distortion. The reserve in volume setting results in a still undistorted analog output signal even at a volume setting of +2.5 dB."

searching the internet isn’t so hard... 💻💻💻