Nain 282 vs audio research ls5mk2

hi, has anyone had a chance to compare the naim 282 preamplifiers and the audio research ls5mk2?
would the naim improve the sound?

128x128suso

Naim dealer here naim is generally best with other  Naim gear

arc works with most gear tonnaly these components are very different

NAim is warm and punchy 

Arc transparent and a bit bright

Dave and Troy

Audio intellect  NJ

Naim dealer

Naim preamps are very dependent on the outboard power supplies used. I have never compared Naim with Audio Research, but if you get the 282, it needs a minimum of 2 HiCaps to really get going, but the Supercap really transforms it. But I’ve never heard any Naim preamp mated to anything except a Naim amp. I remember someone on the Naim Forums using a 252 with some SET tube monos and it was supposedly excellent. 

@suso - Having owmed a NAIM amp it is my opinion that there are some questionable design descisions that have been made across the entire NAIM line...

• like their choice of DIN connectors for inputs and outputs
    • DIN connectors perform poorly compared to other options
  • the FACT that the power capacitors in amps WILL fail after 10-12 years of use, cositng $100’s in repairs and 4 weeks down time
  • the NAIM brand interconnect cables are at best - mediocre performers
  • the NAIM brand speaker cables are at best - mediocre performers

and these are the things I have experienced first hand.- who knows what else is "lurking" in the shadows?

Don’t get me wrong - I like the sound of NAIM gear very much, but as a company, they

1. design their products in a way that encourages the audiophile to spend even more on their other products, like supplemental power supplies
  2. they encourage the cult-like following in their cuctomer base by the relentless promotion of their products on their forums and mis-inform the readers as to the effectiveness of alternate solutons
  3. they promote and sustain a "if it’s not NAIM it can’t be good" kind of culture, which is utter rubbish!

For those reasons I would opt for the Audio Research.

But if you are happy with your NAIM gear - enjoy

It’s just my rather "Jaded" opinion - Steve