must you play music to break in tubes

I have some GE 12ax7 longplate tubes that make some loud crackling noises.  The Seller claimed that this is common with nos tubes and that it will go away after they are broken in, but it is too alarming to hear and sounds risky to the speakers.  Might leaving the amp powered up for a while, but with no signal passing, break them in adequately?  Kind of hate wasting the power tubes lifetimes, but I don't have any old tubes to use in that amp.

128x128lloydc

+1 @glennewdick & @larryi

If they are true NOS tubes, crackling is not uncommon. Take each tube out. Give it a decent tap. I give noisy NOS tubes a few hard flicks with my fingernail. Re-install. If the crackling persists after 20 minutes or so, it’s probably a microphonic tube. Return if possible. Yet, some microphonic tubes might be unlistenable in the buffer stage but could be totally quiet in the output stage. Or visa versa. It depends on the circuit design.

Just to confirm what others have written, crackling and noise from tubes is not a "break-in" issue.  Return them immediately.

@steakster, @glennewdick & @larryi-

+1

Had the conversation with Brent Jessee, years back, about a 40's,Tung-Sol Round Plate.

He had me GENTLY tap the the base, tube held vertically, on a table.   It worked!

Never had the issue again.

If it doesn't work, in your case: send them back.

btw: He also includes a letter with tube purchases, that discusses tube break/burn in.      YES: it's real, but I wouldn't waste the tube hours, by not listening to music.      

The differences won't hurt your ears.

Happy listening!

I've tapped the tube of tubes with a pencil eraser before with excellent results. Now I'm not telling you to do this, but I'd do it again if I had a little static or popping before giving up on them.

That said, the seller might be full of it as suggested above, very possible, especially with AI, everyones a genius nowadays.

Good luck!