Music first or sound first?

I just thought it might be interesting to take a poll of those that put sound first and those that claim they put music first in listening to their rigs.

128x128rvpiano

Sound or music first?

I no longer separate them, they have become both equally important. If one or the other is missing in quality, I just don't enjoy it anymore. No way I listen to bad music with good sound and no way I listen to good music with bad sound. It didn't use to matter, but I guess with age, I've become much more selective  to save the few years left I have of decent hearing.

Music.

I can enjoy great music on a lousy system, but I prefer a great system, and I am blessed to have one--and blessed that it was less than $50k all-in.  I am also blessed to not have fallen prey to the perpetual dissatisfaction that can be a part of the experience for those who are drawn to great reproduction, though I can certainly sympathize with it.

I was beguiled in my high-school years (late 70s) by ads from Marvin Electronics in Ft. Worth, Texas.  I still recall their ultimate system consisting of Macintosh electronics, Studer Revox RTR, a Gale turntable, and Dayton-Wright electrostatic loudspeakers...So I have a pretty deep legacy of interest in the highest end, which has always been (sometimes slightly, sometimes greatly) beyond my financial reach.

@Larsman   +1.   Looking at the other side,  what good is a great stereo if you don't play music that you like?