moving on from Emotiva UMC-200 pre/processor

I like this Emotiva unit, but got it just before deciding to upgrade almost everything in my system. I can still return it tho and am now hoping to setup the two front channels as follows:

Thiel CS2.7 (or something just as transparent if I find it)
Amp to match the Thiels (Pass Labs x-150, Peachtree 220, suggestions?)

I realize it's a pretty open ended question, but can someone suggest other 7+ multi channel pre/processors to match the above hypothetical system?

Thanks,
hazyj
hazyj

Showing 9 responses by dbphd

The JC-2 is packed for shipping to Parasound for the by-pass mod, so I've been listening to the Oppo 105 direct to Proceed HPA 2 & 3 amps that drive KEF Reference 107/2 mains and 102 surrounds. I think the sound is pretty damn good, a quality of sound I could easily be happy with.

db
I concur with Tim's recommendation of the Oppo BDP-105 as an acting digital processor, but it will not accept analog source. I select among three analog sources, so I use a JC-2 preamp for stereo, take surround from the Oppo directly the amps, and SW directly to a bass manager. When used with the Oppo for surround or HT, the JC-2 is set to unity gain. If you have only digital sources, the Oppo is likely to suffice.
"Just remember, you WILL be losing out on the dynamics side of things, in absolute terms, going the passive route with your thiels!" Why would you make such a claim, Avgoround? What can an active preamp do for dynamic range? It amplifies both signal and noise, so S/N is determined by the source. If the level of the source is sufficient to drive the amp to full output, as that of an Oppo BDP-105 is likely to be, I see an ideal preamp as a device for switching among analog sources and passing the signal without degradation. Of course, if you're into tone controls and such . . .

db
Avgoround,

I believe the source that was originally being considered as a substitute for a preamp was an Oppo BDP-105. The Oppo has very low output impedance and sufficient level to drive nearly any amp to full output. I use three analog sources, a Parasound JC-3 phono stage, an Ayre C-5xeMP, and stereo from an Oppo BDP-105, so I use a JC-2 to switch among them. I have tried the Oppo direct to my Proceed HPA 2 & 3 amps, and the sound is superb with no lack of dynamic range -- remember, any amplification amplifies both signal and noise, so doesn't change S/N. Even though I use a preamp for stereo, the surround outputs from the Oppo go directly to the amps.

db
Avgoround, your question about whether the Oppo has a volume control suggests you have never heard one and have little or no knowledge about the 95/105 analog capabilities. You can visit the Oppo 105 owners site at AVS for an extensive discussion of the pros and cons of taking a 105 direct to amp. I have neither the time nor the inclination to do the work you could do yourself if you really had an interest other than promoting your belief that an active preamp is required.

db
Avgoround,

If it's any comfort to you, I'm shipping my JC-2 to Parasound for the by-pass mod, so I'll be in Oppo BDP-105-direct-to-Proceed-HPA-amps hell for at least a couple of weeks. I'll be denied access to the JC-3 phono stage and the Ayre C-5xeMP. That should be sufficient punishment for holding such a heretical view that a preamp might not be necessary for those without analog sources.

db
Avoground, you're reading far too much into my posts. For stereo, I prefer my Ayre C-5xeMP for CD and SACD or my Thorens TD 124 with SME Series III arm and Ortofon SMS 30H cartridge through the Parasound JC-3 for vinyl. Of course, both of those sources go through the JC-2. OTOH, an opera on Blu-ray DTS HD MA played on the Oppo 105 and projected onto our 100" screen is a treat.

db
I got a call Thursday from Parasound telling me the by-pass mod has been completed for my JC-2 and that it was being shipped back to me. Shipping the 300+ miles from San Francisco to Santa Barbara shouldn't take long.

The Ayre C-5xeMP can't be used without a preamp, so I played CDs and SACDs using the Oppo BDP-105 direct to the amps. I was surprised that voices sound so much less natural than when the Ayre and JC-2 are in the chain. I've been listening to very little music since.

I attribute the diminished sound quality to substitution of the Oppo for the Ayre, but I do think the Oppo sounds better when going through the JC-2.

db
The by-pass mod Parasound does to the JC-2 lets you set any or all channels to unity gain and takes the JC-2 volume control out of the loop for a by-passed channel. Kal Rubinson claims the pass through is completely transparent as far as he could tell.

In my application, stereo from an Oppo BDP-105 goes through the JC-2 whereas the surround channels go directly to Proceed HPA amps. Setting the input the Oppo uses to by-pass means only the Oppo volume control that controls all the Oppo output channels is active. I had marked the JC-2 for unity gain with the Oppo, but too often failed to reset it after using the Ayre or Thorens. So I didn't expect any change in sound quality with the mod -- but Pete Seeger is again singing in my room now that the C-5xeMP - JC-2 chain is back.

db