Monitor audio platinum pl200 ii , revel f226be, or something else?

Hey all,

I want to preface this by saying I know there is no comparion for an in person audition with any speakers, specifically ones at this price range. That being said I'm disabled, with my biggest hobby being music and home theater, and itching to upgrade, but without going into specifics it's extremely difficult bordering on impossible for me to get out and do things in my age now, so I've been doing as much online research as possible to make the most informed decision prior to buying.

I've been slowly upgrading over the years from  low tier monitor audio towers, revel bookshelves, goldenear bookshelves, and most recently some philharmonic // salk BMR monitors and while they all do somethings well, nothing yet does everything I like. I use these both for home theater and music, and in music value nothing above detail and resolution, particularly in the midrange, with treble being important and not as much care for bass as I always cross them over with SVS subs. I love A really wide, but also tall // holographic soundstage, and a big, dynamic, punchy sound. 

I find the bmr monitors with the RAAL tweeters to have great upper end detail, fair midrange detail, an extremely wide soundstage but not so much tall or deep. Also when they play at anything above moderate levels, or when there's loud sounds in a movie for example, I find the BMRs to distort badly and takes me out of the scene. I would like some speakers to improve on this and have narrowed it down to a few, the monitor audio platinum pl200 ii, the revel f226be, and also considered some offerings from salk. 

I have found some good deals on the MA and Revel speakers at under $5k // pr,(used but cared for) and from what I've read, they have similar sounds and characteristics, with the MA being much less reviewed and less information than the beloved revels. I've also heard that the cheaper, revel f226's are very similiar to the f226bes, while others say there is an improvement but only slightly. Has anyone ever compared these speakers and can give any feedback to the differences or similiarities between them, or any other similiar reccomendations for under 10k//pr used for me since I am unable to audition them ? Thanks all. 

khams

Showing 1 response by ricred1

Monitor Audio Platinum's are different sounding than their Silvers. I've owned several Revel speakers and I currently own Monitor Audio PL500 ii speakers. The PL500's can sound very different depending on the rest of "system". I prefer my Monitor Audio speakers over the Revels that I've owned and listened to. That being said, you may come to a different conclusion...listen and let your own ears decided.