miniDSP SHD integration

Ever since I migrated from AVR preamp out with room correction to a separate preamp, I have been missing room correction, especially bass management. I have considered the SHD, but wanted to avoid the ADA, and the potential quality of the DAC built into the SHD. I recently plugged my turntable back into my AVR, and the bass management room correction was significant, ergo my renewed interest. My system:

Pro-ject 1Xpression carbon classic with Hana ML cart

Rega Aria phono stage

Rogue RP-1 pre with NOS Telefunkon medical, Siemens nickel plate & Brimar CV4003 NOS tubes (rolling)

LSA Warp 1 amp

KEF R11 speakers

Rythmic F12SE sub

Aurender N150 streamer

Chord Qutest DAC

My question is how do best integrate the SHD (or other/better) room correction device into my system. My ideal is to continue to use both my preamp and DAC. So, in the case of streaming: N150 >SHD>Qutest>Preamp>Amp>Speakers

Vinyl: TT>Aria>SHD>Qutest>Preamp

This would avoid the SHD internal DAC, but how would it do bass management? In this scenario, I believe the sub would need to be plugged into the preamp for volume control. Perhaps this is true for any scenario when a separate preamp is used?

Does the SHD/Dirac have the ability to perform bass management without using the SHD crossovers? IE: Full range to both speakers & sub with the appropriate adjustments? Any other products you would recommend? Any other recommended connections? 

Thanks!

128x128signaforce

OP:  You read that correctly.  this is pretty much the way the great Floyd Toole recommends.  His point, and I agree with it, is why buy a certain pair of speakers you like the sound of and then try to EQ them to sound like somethig else? Except in the bass, where all sorts of nasties lurk.

To clarify:  I'm paraphrasing Toole's take on EQ, but the suggestions for plugging the ports and using a high pass filter on the mains is not part of his argument.

@erik_squires

Thank you. My ports are plugged. It was necessary when I added my preamp to flatten my bass response. A couple more questions. Would the SHD be overkill in this scenario and a lesser miniDSP do? Would I not just run my AVR room correction in home theater pass thru & adjust the subwoofer equalization manually?

I really do think the SHD is overkill for this, when the HD for $250 will work just fine. The SHD is really meant to be a full function streamer/preamp. 

If you must have Dirac the miniDSP DDRC-24 will add that capability ~ $500, but then you are going to put it in front of your amp.   This is not really a terrible idea either, but you are going to have another A/D, D/A conversion in between. 

Ordered the miniDSP HD from Amazon for sub management only. Arrives tomorrow. Thank you.