Mesh network versus a simple Wi-Fi extender

In anyone’s experience, does implementing a pricier Mesh network yield any sonic advantages to just using a good Wi-Fi extender and running a good Ethernet cable from that?  From people who have very good streamer setups it seems like using a simple but good Wi-Fi extender from TP-Link etc. is more than fine.  Thoughts?

soix

Showing 1 response by musicfan2349

As others have said, MESH is the way to go. I have an ASUS RT-AS86U and a pair of RP-AC1900 nodes. The main router is upstairs in my office while I have a node downstairs in the living room and another also downstairs in my wife's office. I originally had just a simple Netgear extender in her office for her VOIP work phone but it didn't provide enough signal to get outside to our gazebo. (In the winters I run my Green Mountain Grill smoker with wifi out there.😉) Hence replacing the extender with the second mesh node.

The node in the living room is across the room from my hi-fi rig due to RF interference with my MC pre-preamp. So I ran Cat8 from the node across the room to my Node2i. No more interference!

The whole thing was really simple to set up and is rock solid. Every few months I check to see if there's updated firmware and upgrade but even that's simple with the ASUS app.

Having a good, solid wifi network is such a convenience and easy to do. That said, to optimize your streaming I do suggest running a cable from either your router or node to your streaming device. I don't understand why it would make a difference, it's airborne 1's and 0's right? But to my ears it did. Worth the $50 for the cable!

Happy listening.