Meeting up with members even where there is no sale

Hey all, 

I've been a member here for over 20 years.  I've made some local friends in the Chicago area here over the years, but it has been increasingly difficult to meet up with folks when Audiogon prevents exchange of contact information. 

I understand this when there is a sale and the site needs its commission.  But to prevent us from doing anything off the forum/site seems harsh.  

Is it accurate to say Audiogon prohibits this entirely?  

I simply wanted to help a local guy with his crossovers and binding posts.  

128x128jbhiller

@elliottbnewcombjr it used to bother me but the fact is, this a business. If the web site's background color turned black tomorrow, and you couldn't read a thing, they wouldn't lose a penny, the forum is not generating income. 

Permitting sharing of personal contact info could be misconstrued in certain contexts as promoting it, and that could in turn generate liability for a website.

I can understand the website surveillance watching out for this and not allowing it. What I don’t care for is that you don’t know which members are potentially tasked with administrative oversight of private communication infractions. I once used the word “number” in a private message regarding speaker drivers, and the software interpreted in a way that put the whole convo “under review” as a possible violation, tattooed in red font from that point forward. Eew.

Point being, while their system probably won’t change such an overarching policy, it could still stand some technical improvements for operation within said design. 😁

Many forums have a PM page for private messaging between members for exactly that purpose. Or simply for dialogue with restricted viewing.

Just change up how you type your info and the bot won’t know the difference. Use words for some numbers etc. should work for giving out email and phone numbers.