McIntosh to Luxman?

Hey everybody. I need some advice.  It's fair to say I've lusted over Luxman equipment for a few years now.  Something about Japanese hifi that just gets me. Anyway, one of the online retailers of new and used equipment has a Luxman L-507uX (not the mark ii) for sale.  I do really like the sound from my hybrid MA252 integrated, and it drives my Maggie 1.7s with ease.  Most of my listening is of the streaming variety (Bludesound Node/Qobuz), and some vinyl (Music Hall MMF-5). 

Here's my question: what will the Luxman bring me that the McIntosh isn't providing?   More refinement?  More authoritative bass? Better soundstaging?  If the answer is yes, then I may pull the trigger on the Luxman.  By the way, I can get a nice trade-in on my McIntosh, so my out-of-pocket won't be too bad.    Please weigh-in if you've had both McIntosh and Luxman gear and what your experience with both brands has been.   Thanks in advance!   ~ Jerry

jrod68

I would try the Luxman, I bet you will keep it.

Return shipping Cost: it’s no loss, if you keep it, you have to send them the McIntosh. Keep the McIntosh, return the Luxman, Soooo it isn’t any more cost to try it.

I’ve got a Luxman, 10 wpc tube amp in my Office System. My 1st and only Luxman. Except for price, I wholeheartedly recommend it, and, over time, you forget the price. You are simply not aware of it, just the wonderful involving music.

It has built in MM/MC Phono, I’m using it’s MM with my AT440ml MM cartridge, also quite happy with that part of it. Just to say, I’m happy with all aspects of my Luxman.

https://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=33

https://www.stereophile.com/content/luxman-sq-n150-integrated-amplifier

Now playing my restored AR-2ax, sensitivity 91.5.

https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2014/05/acoustic-research-ar-2ax.html

Previously played the least efficient 87db speakers I own, Wharfedale Diamond 225.

https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/diamond-225/

As reviewers say, it seems to have plenty of reserve power, yes it does, it drove the inefficient Wharfedale’s with more volume than I want/need. Perhaps ’extra power’ is true of the Luxman you are considering, I suspect so.

I had McIntosh Mc2250 SS 250 wpc in main system when I was using my JSE Infinite Slope Model II’s, 4 way sensitivity 90db. I played with more volume in that larger space, and my current at the time 30 wpc tube amps seemed underpowered. I have to agree, it was more like a muscle car, impressive, yet not as invisibly involving.

I went back to highly efficient horns/15" woofer and switched back to tubes, sold the MC2250, don’t miss it one bit.

IF the Luxman had 16 ohm taps, like my Cayin A88T does (22 or 45 wpc) I am sure the Luxman could drive my main system wonderfully. Cayin is also invisibly involving, which is simply magic when that quality exists.

Again, everyone, thanks for your feedback.  It's much appreciated.   

@caphill ...yeah, a new streamer would be next on my list. I guess at the moment,  I'm smitten with the Luxman amp. 

@woots ...thanks for the recommendation 

@audioman58...super cool integrated, and if I had an extra $6k laying around, I'd probably go that route.  I forgot to mention in my post, I want to stay in the $2k-$3k range, out-of-pocket.  Trading in my hybrid McIntosh gets me there. 

@soix...I like your attitude.  Just go for it!   

I'll keep you all updated.  Have a great day!  ~ Jerry 

I did the switch and even a side-by-side comparaison and Luxman was my favorite no questions asked

The Mac: C712 + MC7100

The Luxman: L-509X

The Mac was from the 90's so not a fair comparaison, but there were separate.

The Lux is much more detailled with a wide soudnstage. The voices were crisp and so clear, you can almost smell the breath of the signer!

The Mac has slighly more bass, but not as clean as the Lux. Th overall sound was warmer.

In the end, it is very different sound and it's a matter of personal preferences. And not all Max/Lux sound the same.

a few comments to add to this conversation

1. i concur 100% with @ghdprentice on mac vs luxman solid state -- luxman will be leaner cleaner sounding, more linear top to bottom, whereas mac is voiced to me warmer fuller in mids and midbass with notable obscuring of treble detail and air in comparison

2. mac makes ss amps models with and without autoformers, they sound different, autoformers at the output stage gives further warmth, while mac models without will sound more ’typically’ solid state, with better transient response but a leaner presentation - still even non autoformer ss mac amps will be voiced richer warmer than commensurate luxman model

3. the comparison is further complicated by the fact that the op has the mac252 which is a non autoformer HYBRID integrated amp model, with 12au7/at7 tube pre section... thus even more notable tubey presentation, very much apples to oranges vs luxman 507 straight ss class ab

4. as for the bluesound node, if the op has the n130 (latest model, much improved over the older 2 and 2i sonically) the dac analog output will be pretty good, but can be improved with a power supply upgrade (there are several vendors)... i bought one for fun with the pd creative lps mod and using a proper lps the sound is definitely improved (cleaner transients, improved tonality and timbre), the internal smps definitely holds the unit back, slurs the sound and diminishes soundstage

5. even though the bs node with power supply upgrade is very good sounding at under $1000 (with mods and lps) there are many other as good or slightly better sounding dac/streamers on the market in the $1000-1500 price range - which would allow the op to enjoy the purer sound of the luxman more effortlessly