McIntosh MX121 Test Tones?

We have an audio system here that employs an Oppo BDP-103 as its DAC.  We also have an MX121 that we wish to use as our multichannel (MC) analog preamp.  This being the case, we have RCA cables running from the rear of the Oppo to the 7.1 CH INPUT jacks found on the rear of the MX121 ... and as an aside, the audio being used for testing is also known to include proper 5.1 audio data.

On the output side of the setup in question, we've connected a power amp (and a speaker) to all of the applicable RCA analog output jacks found in the UNBALANCED PRE OUT section of RCA output jacks: FL, FR, C, SW1, SL & SR.  All of the amplifiers, save the center (C) power amp are working and, additionally, their front panel meters are responding to their audio signals.

As we don't seem to have a center (C) signal, I phoned McIntosh Labs to ask about this problem.  The fellow that I spoke to seemed to be very busy, so he quickly said that I should start troubleshooting the issue by employing the test tones that can be accessed via the manual setup menus within the MX121.

If anyone has done this kind of troubleshooting, I'd appreciate some help on how to access said test tones.

Thank you for any help with this.

70smacman

Showing 1 response by oddiofyl

Is it possible the OPPO is not putting out it's center info?   I have a 103 and it's been a while since I used it in surround but if I remember correctly it also has test tones built in.  The center may be turned off in the oppo or 121.     

If you go into the Mac's menu it should be able to send a tone to every channel.  It should identify center as it sweeps from L to C , then R and so on.   

If you get a tone through the Mac center then most likely a cable or center is off in the player