McIntosh MC611and MC1.25KW-how do they sound compared to 601's and 1.2KW

Long time selling and buying on Agon but first time positing.  Just sold my 1201's and was planning to upgrade to the 611's or the 1.25KW's. However, I am on hold now as I have heard from two sources that McIntosh has "re-voiced" the amps.  Both guys felt the high end was hard and difficult to listen to at anything above a whisper. Both guys sold their 1.25KW's within weeks. Does anyone have any experience either comparing these new amps to their predecessors and/or with similar mono blocks?

I really enjoyed the 1201's with my speakers. Just decided to change as we were moving and had to crate them up anyway. 

I have DynAudio C4 Platinum Confidence speakers, McIntosh C1100 pre. Linn TT with the full boat Linn treatment, etc. 

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. 
spl1992

Showing 4 responses by stereo5

I have not heard that.  Over at  Audio Afecianado in the McIntosh section, a few of the guys have upgraded and they are all in agreement and singing praise.  No one is talking about harshness in the highs or any harshness at all.  The amps aren't re-voiced, they are now quad balanced which makes them quieter.  I heard the amps at Audio Classics driving a pair of Legacy speakers (the expensive ones with the Wavelet processor)  and the sound was "to die" for.
I reached out to Ivan but haven't heard back.  Why not talk to Mike at Audio Classics and see what he says?  He is extremely honest and would never steer you wrong.  An example, I have a MC152 power amp and was going to go up to an older 250wpc power amp (MC252).  He advised me against it, said mine sounded much better.  He saved me a few grand after trade in.
Thank you for the very positive report.  So many audiophiles really “don’t get” McIntosh and their house sound.   I love my McIntosh equipment, and only wish I had indulged much earlier in my audiophile life with this brand.  I bet I would have saved tens of thousands over the years.   Best of luck with your system and I hope it keeps you smiling.