Mcintosh customer support

Requested Firmware update from Mcintosh for my ageing but still good sounding D150 Dac Mcintosh customer support virtually refused to supply Firmware v 1.02 with me . their answer was,,

( Unfortunately, company policy prohibits me from sending out firmware updates. We used to distribute them openly but they ended up on forums and were installed into incorrect units causing a massive influx in service repairs. At that point the company instituted the policy to no longer distribute them.)

it is so sad that Audio Giant like McIntosh do not care about their customers.

128x128sabih

+1, "It also sounds as if they did not make their firmware upgrade process more bullet proof and now the end users are suffering for it".  

And a very important lesson for McIntosh.

@sabih,

Please see the link below for McIntosh Service Centers.  Maybe they can help install your firmware upgrade.   Your local retailer might be the best.   

McIntosh Support link

After my interactions with their support before they shelved the Wadia brand and an interaction with a rep at my LD.  I'm not sure I would ever purchase one of their products.   

@sabih just curious what were your expectations for the firmware update? Why were you looking to do it?

As to McIntosh customer service, it’s definitely not the best even when it comes to warranty repair but in case of firmware updates, I side with them. I see on a daily basis how many people can’t understand elementary concepts. Arming them with a flash drive loaded with a firmware update is just too dangerous. I do agree that they should offer the firmware updates thru the local dealer network. 

@sabih -- you complained about McIntosh's poor communications with you that required multiple back-and-forths to get an answer, but your own postings leave me a bit confused.  I've read the thread twice and it's not clear to me if they are simply refusing to provide the file for you to do the update yourself or if they have refused to update your D150 even if you send it back to them for service.  What's the story, or is there more to it? (For example, they'll do the upgrade if you ship it back but they want to charge for it.)