Marten Coltrane Alto speakers

Has anyone had an opportunity to ever hear these speakers? I love their look and 6Moons had a wonderful review of them with the exception that it was mentioned that it takes up to a year to break them in.
bostonbean
I have seem the term "fast sound" in describing both speakers and electronic gear. What does this term mean?
Samuel33, speakers are mechanical devices.....they move. like any mechanical device breakin will be somewhat in stages.....these stages will vary according to the unique combination of parts and construction method.....and even environment, ancilary gear and intensity of use.

depending on the level of information of a particular system; these various stages will be audible. the earliest stages are most easily identified.

specifically with speakers like the Marten, which i've owned, and the very similar Kharma which i've also owned; there is an initial breakin time of about 400-500 hours where the changes are easily heard. personally; i would not want to pay any manufacturer to do this complete break-in.....i'd rather they insure the speaker works properly and allow me to spend the time myself....and 72 hours of manufacturer break-in time seems very considerate from my perspective.

speakers most capable of high resolution will need to be designed to sound correctly 'after' breakin. if a speaker needs to be 'dumbed down' so it is already mellow prior to breakin that speaker will end up a bit toothless after breakin. again; speakers are designed and voiced with parts that are broken in for a good reason.

in my experience; after that initial 400+ hour breakin, over the next 6 to 9 months the bass articulation will little by little improve, little bits of bass detail and grip pop out that wern't there before. a very slight edgyness on some music smooths out, and a bit more texture and tonal shading becomes evidant. overall, refinement is improved.....subtle but real.

this process happens specifically on speakers and cartridges; i've broken in a number of sets of speakers and maybe a dozen or more high end cartridges.....the same pattern repeats every time to one degree or another. as my system has become more highly resolving over time it is easier to notice.

sorry you have not experienced these wonderful things happening. you have every right to disagree if you like.
Mikelavigne of course i disagree.

Yes the mechnical parts need sometimes a little breakin.

I had speakers with ceramic drivers so yes there is a longer breakin for ceramic than for some other drivers

But we are talking about much more time it needs

I know as the first commentary talks about a year and not about hours of use, there will be weird calculations as "if the guy use the speakers 30min per day it makes the end of breakin after 1 year and blablabla"

I mean can we stop telling false and exagerating stuff ?

It is exactly why people are buying today power cord at 10k

You mikelavigne (and many other reviewers) are saying so much false informations that now innocent people are buying many things that are not needed to improve really the sound.

I don't know you personnaly Mike, but i know people that describe you as nice personn, i don't say that you have no integrity

I say you are a gentle believer, but your position as a director of an audio magazine should push you to be a little more serious in the audio approach.
Samuel33 based on your posts on AG forums it seems that you don't have a clue about High End. You're like 16 year old kid in daddy's Ferari tryng to get out of the crashed car not knowing what has happened.

Please do yourself a favour and buy B&O system and everyone you know will like you more.
Teddy bear i am so far above your knowledge

I have heard system that even mike laigne doesn't know the existence

Maybe i am new in the place but fast learning and not spent my life in stupid shops with always the same bad things

More than that i have my study in the domain of theory of accoustic that kind of help now LOL

Take care and learn