Mark Knopfler & James Taylor

You know that feeling you get when certain songs play. Songs like Wichita Lineman, White Bird, Nights in White Satin, etc.

There’s another one that’s about the Mason Dixon line of all things. It ‘gets’ me every time.

Mark Knopfler & James Taylor  Sailing to Philadelphia
Here’s a link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrLdKYRBOEE
What songs ‘Get’ you every time?

128x1281111art

I get frisson from many songs, Mark Knopfler being good at it. Besides everyone’s choice of "Brothers in Arms", also "The Man’s Too Strong", "Romeo and Juliet", etc. I recommend looking outside the mainstream for songs that touch the heart (Explosions in the Sky, Gomez, Spent Poets, Crack the Sky, etc.)

Eagles -- Take It Easy

James Taylor & JD Souther -- Her Town Too

CCR -- Born on the Bayou

Simon & Garfunkel -- The Boxer

Stevie Wonder -- Living for the City

Knopfer is brilliant, having written this after reading Pynchon, which for a Brit (or anybody) is, more than impressive. Taylor, on the other hand . . . let's just say that of all the great artists who gave poor Jimmy a break, Knopfler came closer than Carole King, Joni Mitchell, or Elvis Costello ever did to getting his money's worth. Taylor sings an almost plausible Mason in his first verse, despite pronouncing "society" more in the Philly way than the Bristol way, then falls apart. The only thing Taylor ever touched that I would touch myself. If not for the great Knopfler. 

Boom, Like That - Knopfler

When You're A Free Man - Moody Blues

Third World Man - Steely Dan

Under My Skin - Sinatra

Tell Me What I Gotta Do - Al Jarreau