Marantz 2325 speaker cables

I am looking to replace my current cables connecting my PSB speakers to my 1976 Marantz 2325. Any suggestions? Can pin connectors be used at either end?

many thanks for your suggestions! 

nandoe67

Why would you want to use pin connectors?  Screwing down the speaker wire directly to the posts will give you a better connection at the speaker end. On the receiver end you can just connect the other end of a stripped speaker wire.  I'd look for the heaviest gauge of oxygen free finely stranded and preferably fluxed wire that you can fit into the spring-loaded holes of the terminals of the receiver and if you know how, coat them with silver solder before inserting them at both ends.   Skar Audio Elite Oxygen-Free Copper Audio Speaker Wire is an excellent speaker wire for the $. Found on Amazon. For your purpose/ components, I see no reason to buy any other wire.  I have probably bought over 400 feet of this wire since moving into my current house in different gauges in the past year, and I will vouch for it!

Thanks a lot for this. It’s very helpful. I asked about pins because I’ve found that the exposed wire gets brittle over time and discolors. Maybe there is a fix for this. I’ll check out the brand you’ve suggested. Thanks again. 

nandoe67 OP Just add solder to the stripped ends! You can get a basic soldering iron and solder for $10-$20!  If you haven't soldered before, the learning process is as easy as a few tries on a practice piece of wire.

Get 4 of the angled pin connectors (see link) for the rear of your Marantz. Then strip 1" off the speaker end, unscrew the nuts on the binding posts and expose the hole in the shaft, twist and insert the wire into the hole in the center of the binding post shaft, tighten them good by hand. Use 12 or 14 gauge all copper, made in the USA speaker cable. Try not to buy speaker cable made in China.

dill: No Chinese speaker cables? So, China can build nuclear weapons, be the first to land on the dark side of the moon, lead the US in 37 out of 44 technologies including nanoscale materials, but can’t make a decent speaker cable? Hmm...

"but can’t make a decent speaker cable?"

- Decent, no doubt, however in my experience speaker wire made in the USA is of higher quality and sounds better.

dill: Experience is the "key" word.  I have lived in more countries than I can count on two hands and have visited around 35.  No offense to you but making generalizations is very naive. Unless you have been to China or other countries and have purchased and/ or auditioned their cables, you would not really know, would you?  Sure, maybe you have gotten a hold of a Chinese cable that you did not like, but in no way does that validate your statement to stay away from Chinese cables.  You want good cables?  Try some extruded fine silver wire from Taxco (not in the US)!  

"Sure, maybe you have gotten a hold of a Chinese cable that you did not like, but in no way does that validate your statement to stay away from Chinese cables."

- I did not say to stay away from Chinese cables, I said speaker cables or speaker wire from China. If you check my Profile page on AudiogoN you will see I actually use 2 power cords from China in my system. Also have silver speaker and interconnect wire in the system too. (not from China).

- I owned a stereo store from 1985 - 1995 and have heard & sold many many pairs of all types of cables, so I know what to look for when auditioning wire. My go to budget speaker wire for vintage systems is the now discontinued Marshall Sound Runner 10ga. which I use in my garage and my wife's system. I have auditioned several speaker cables and interconnects from China, however I won't be using them in my systems.