Magnepan LRS+ which amps do you use ? * 100 watts or less **

I have a pair coming in this week and wondering if any folks are having good results with 100watt or less amps 

i have a Rogue  Cronos mag that's about 100 watts , also an Exsposure 2510 that's about 110 into 4 ohms 

do you really need hundreds of watts to enjoy these speakers ?

mfm22

Showing 7 responses by yyzsantabarbara

I think the LRS+ needs power. I have a modded Peachtree GAN1, Peachtree GAN400, and a CODA #16 that I used on the LRS+.

The 200-watt modded GAN1, while maybe the best sounding, is weaker on the bass with the LRS+.

The Peachtree GAN400 is what i plan on using long-term since I want to keep the costs down on this system. It is pretty good.

The CODA #16 is incredible on the LRS+ though it is even better on my Yamaha NS5000 so that is where it resides.

My experience with these amps made me decide NOT to buy the Benchmark AHB2 (100 watts @ 8Ohm) for the LRS+. It would have been underpowered. The AHB2 monos likely are not as good as a single stereo AHB2 on the LRS+ due to under 4 Ohm load.

The other amps I considered for the LRS+ were substantially more than 100 watts and over 300 watts at 4 Ohm.

- SPL s1200

- a used KRELL Duo 300XD (would be as good as the CODA #16)

- Parasound JC5

- Bryston 4BSST3

All these amps could be better than the Peachtree GAN400, the KRELL substantially better to my ears, but the GAN400 has the right amount of power for the LRS+ and the right price.

I think the LRS+ needs power. I have a modded Peachtree GAN1, Peachtree GAN400, and a CODA #16 that I used on the LRS+.

The 200-watt modded GAN1, while maybe the best sounding, is weaker on the bass with the LRS+.

I need to make a correction on this statement. When I first got the brand new LRS+ I put the modded Peachtree GAN1 on it and it was good, but the bass was a little shy compared to my CODA #16.

Yesterday, I put the GAN1 back with the LRS+ because I am returning the Peachtree GAN400 that I hoped would be my LRS+ amp. My initial statement about the GAN1 was premature. I now have more than 200 hours on the LRS+ and the GAN1 on this speaker today is incredible. It sounds perfect.

This GAN1 design is really incredible idea, and I cannot wait until more advanced implementations come out with analog source inputs and sub-woofer integration. The Daniel Hertz units do all of this, but I am not sure if it is GAN based. My unit is way better than stock from the mods by Ric at EVS (tweakaudio.com)

Maria Amplifiers – Daniel Hertz SA

I am debating whether to sell all of my office gear and just keep the modded PeachTree GAN1 | LRS+ | Sonore OpticalRendu + SPDIF addition for the streaming. I think I am liking this even better than the CODA #16 + DAC + preamp + interconnects + LRS+.

The GAN1 is not powerful enough for my Yamaha NS5000 but it is great on the LRS+.

@oblgny Give the LRS+ about 300 to 400 hours. Mine has gotten much better with more playback. My room is also small which I think helps the LRS+.

I ended up not following my advice and put the mostly Class A CODA #16 on the LRS+. It is definitely the best the LRS+ has sounded. The LRS+ can really use the power and current. My Sanders Magtech (Magnepan + Tech) was great on the LRS+ at 500 | 900 watts @ 8 | 4 Ohm. The #16 is a bit better on the bass and a bit cleaner on top. I think the Sanders is the best Class AB amp I have owned.

I will be getting another CODA amp to replace the Sanders, which is on my other system.

Maybe a better LRS+. I am staying with the LRS+.

Diptyque audio - Hauts-parleurs plans Haute-Fidélité - Home

I used the GAN400 2x with the LRS+. It is great for the $1k used I paid both times.

I was using my Sanders Magtech on the LRS+ for 6-months and loved it. That amp has 500 watts at 8 and 900 at 4. I had a first-world complaint about my CODA #16 on my Livingroom system, so I went ahead and put the 150-watt CODA #16 on the LRS+ for a trial run.

This is some serious sonic bliss with the #16 and the LRS+. It has been about 2 weeks now and I am so distracted by this combo. It is really good. So much so that I am selling the Sanders (send me DM if interested) and I am keeping the #16 on the LRS+ permanently. The #16 is 16x more expensive than the LRS+, however, I know that the LRS+ is more than capable of showing the beauty of this amp. The better the amp the better the result with the LRS+.

I am looking for a second CODA amp for my Livingroom (not the #16).

My room is small 12 x 11 x 9 (4 extra feet from a repurposed closet). More power (or current in the case of the CODA) had dramatic improvement even in a small room.

Next up, I’m going to try the AHB2… just for the heck of it… and it’s 100 watts. 

My 3rd amp is a Benchmark AHB2. It worked decently on the LRS+. It is not an ideal match for the LRS+ since there is a tinge of brightness on the LRS+. However, it is a combo that can work as long as you do not play too loud. I do think a PeachTree GAN400 will give you a bigger sound, but the AHB2 sounds better. 

In terms of preference for me on the LRS+

1. CODA #16 (by far the best on the LRS+)
  2. Sander MagTech (really good but will sell it)
  3. Benchmark AHB2 (thinking of selling, but always nice to have it around)
  4. Peachtree GAN400 (sold it 2x, great for the price)

Mine is in my office so it gets the most play. However, my Livingroom speakers are much better. Though the LRS+ sounds better than the Livingroom system at the moment since I moved the CODA #16 to the office. To me, the LRS+ scales with quality amps.

Anyone done the crossover "upgrade" from these guys?

Magnepan LRS Plus Upgrade Kit (Pair) | GR-Research

This was recommended to me on the Head-fi forum.