Magnepan 3.7i amp pairing

Hi folks,

I’m on the verge of springing for Magnepan 3.7i, despite their drawbacks: power-hungry; hard to place off the wall; size; etc.  

I listened to them via Rogue Audio monoblocks, which I can’t afford, but I’m being told that the Rogue Audio DragoN Amp and Rogue RP-5 v.2 pre-amp is a sufficient combination to drive the 3.7s.  No doubt my current Rotel 1572 integrated amp is not enough.  Will probably add, later, two subwoofers beyond the current JL Audio 110, perhaps RELs.

Thoughts, when time allows?

Many thanks,

paul

jazz99

I also recommend the Sanders Magtech, it’s done wonderfully well driving my Martin Logan ESL’s and as the name implies, Magtech was built to drive Maggies. 

You haven't mentioned your budget but I have found the Cary Audio SLI 100 to be a fantastic combo with the Magnepans.

@jazz99 I have a bit of a different solution for you.  I have an old pair of Acoustat 1+1 that had real problems with modern class D, and variations of it, due to the low 0.5 Ohm dip in the upper treble.  Even though I could not hear where the issue occurred I could hear the result due to clipping (Schiit Tyr, PS Audio M700 and others).  I tried the Coda #8, but did not like the result, although there was no clipping.  I ended up with the Pass Labs XA 25.  I was concerned that the power might not be enough, but since I use an active crossover (SPL Crossover from Germany -- similar to the JL CR1) with dual powered subwoofers, the XA 25 ended up being a tremendous match.  

If you get a chance give the XA 25 a trial run.