Magic and mystery of master tape

I keep hearing the phrase closest to master tape. The fact that it is the closest thing to neutrality, and the best 'reference' that said who actually has master tapes? who can get their hands on them? how do you get them? Has anyone audiophile got proper access to them?
I ask this because people keep saying their system sounds like master tape of x or y recording, but is this simple bluff - ie is it just a journalistic phrase from those saying that what they have have heard is neutral? or is it a genuine comparison?
I only say this as I can recall about one or two occasions at shows where I have heard master tape, and that is it - even then it was of rather obscure material/music.
Surely digital masters are more readily available? That being the case surely modern/current digital recordings are the closest to the master/ master tape.
This is a genuine question of curiosity that I would be grateful if someone will kindly shed some light on. Thanks.
lohanimal

Showing 2 responses by zd542

"I keep hearing the phrase closest to master tape. The fact that it is the closest thing to neutrality, and the best 'reference' that said who actually has master tapes?"

Are you talking about comparing the masters to other formats like cd and vinyl, or equipment? For example, does preamp A get you closer to the Master than preamp B.

"who can get their hands on them? how do you get them? Has anyone audiophile got proper access to them?
I ask this because people keep saying their system sounds like master tape of x or y recording, but is this simple bluff - ie is it just a journalistic phrase from those saying that what they have have heard is neutral? or is it a genuine comparison?"

You're right on that. There's no way an audiophile will be able to get their hands on a master tape. Maybe there's a rare exception, buy I've never heard of it.
"The term most of us use is Master dub and It is indeed possible to get them."

I don't think we are talking about the same situation here. I was thinking of masters from one of the big recording companies, like Sony, that have them locked in a vault somewhere. I didn't consider the possibly of getting masters from an individual or a smaller recording company.