Maggies and subwoofer integration

I'm running a Schiit Saga+ into a B@K EX 422 Sonata, into MG-1 maggies. Wanted to add a subwoofer, and was wondering if by just using the second output on the Saga+ to the line level input of the Velodyne Sub I have, would just be adding bass heft to the MG-1's, as there's no built in crossover in the Saga+?

I would optimally want the Sub to takeover from around 60HZ, and aleviate the bass duties of the maggies.

Would it be a waste of time and no real benefit? Would running the signal from the B@K directly to the subwoofer be any different regarding the delineation of the frequency duties?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

noamtasini

A friend of mine dropped by 2 weeks ago to listen to my main rig. We eventually listened to the smaller LRS+ system in my office with the KEF KC62 sub (room is 12x11x9. He was asking me about the sub because he thought the integration with the LRS+ was amazing. I laughed at that because I really do not know too much about subs.

However, what was important for me was that these comments were coming from someone who served as a recording engineer, microphone builder, and musician. If I get an OK from him, I am good. A year or 2 prior I had terrible feedback from the same person on the same room but with different speakers and no sub. I made drastic changes after that feedback.

Small room = Magnepan LRS+ | KEF KC62 sub

BTW - one should ask why Magnepan make DMW sub panels when so many other subs are available.

BTW2 - I am currently listening to the great KCRW radio station on the FM dial with an incredible tuner. The DJ is Sly Stone’s daughter Novena Carmel. She has been playing really bass heavy tunes this morning. It sounds incredible in my small room with the LRS+ and KC62. I cannot believe I do not have fatigue with all the bombast.

I just want to add my two cents to this discussion - I have been a Maggie owner since 1982. I now own two systems I my home based on Maggie’s. My main system now is my Maggie 1.6 QRs (modified by Peter Gun - new wood frames and propritary crossover) and The Swarm ( 4 subs designed by Duke - AudioKinesis ). The subs match the speed of the modified Maggies ( powered by my Krell K 300i integrated) beyond my wildest expectations. Note The Swarm came with their own amp - I feed the Krell preamp out to this amplifier - DaytonAudio - everything is  adjustable - crossover point, eq, phase, gain. You can match this to your room - no problem. My second system are Maggie 1.7i s with a DMW panel. This system runs with a Krell 550 and a separate Son of Ampizalla pushing the DMW. 

Both Maggie systems benefit from the extra bass support. But I must stress The Swarm added to the older modified Maggie 1.6 QRs is amazing. My rooms are the same size - 17’ by 20’. Whatever Maggies you own - add some bottom end!! You will never have regrets. Just add quality subs.

Happy Listening

tom8999

I also run my Maggies (MMGs) through a B&K EX-442 Sonata. I’m using a Rythmik F12G sub. After lots of back-and-forth, I settled on 80 Hz for the crossover (it was either 60 or 80 for me). With the room EQ/DSP I run it integrates very well when the distance setting is done right. My PLP is about 14 away from the speakers so I need to add distance to my sub setting (about 7.3 feet to be exact). I’ve found it’s largely a timing issue. Frankly, I don’t know what a 50 Hz crossover and real low gain is going to do for you. I’ve tried it and it didn’t seem to add much to my listening experience. YMMV.

Clearly, I'm in strong disagreement with those who say you can't successfully integrate a sub with Magnepan speakers.