Maggies and subwoofer integration

I'm running a Schiit Saga+ into a B@K EX 422 Sonata, into MG-1 maggies. Wanted to add a subwoofer, and was wondering if by just using the second output on the Saga+ to the line level input of the Velodyne Sub I have, would just be adding bass heft to the MG-1's, as there's no built in crossover in the Saga+?

I would optimally want the Sub to takeover from around 60HZ, and aleviate the bass duties of the maggies.

Would it be a waste of time and no real benefit? Would running the signal from the B@K directly to the subwoofer be any different regarding the delineation of the frequency duties?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

noamtasini

Showing 1 response by tom8999

I just want to add my two cents to this discussion - I have been a Maggie owner since 1982. I now own two systems I my home based on Maggie’s. My main system now is my Maggie 1.6 QRs (modified by Peter Gun - new wood frames and propritary crossover) and The Swarm ( 4 subs designed by Duke - AudioKinesis ). The subs match the speed of the modified Maggies ( powered by my Krell K 300i integrated) beyond my wildest expectations. Note The Swarm came with their own amp - I feed the Krell preamp out to this amplifier - DaytonAudio - everything is  adjustable - crossover point, eq, phase, gain. You can match this to your room - no problem. My second system are Maggie 1.7i s with a DMW panel. This system runs with a Krell 550 and a separate Son of Ampizalla pushing the DMW. 

Both Maggie systems benefit from the extra bass support. But I must stress The Swarm added to the older modified Maggie 1.6 QRs is amazing. My rooms are the same size - 17’ by 20’. Whatever Maggies you own - add some bottom end!! You will never have regrets. Just add quality subs.

Happy Listening

tom8999