Mac sound quality

I'm using the new IMac , burning my CDs in AIFF . Its hooked up to an audio grade power conditioner , power cord and run to a Levinson #360S dac from the digital out through a audio grade digital cable . The sound quality is not nearly as good as my mid fi CD player . Iv'e read many posts saying this type of hard drive is far better than good quality CD players , too many posts to disregard . What am I doing wrong , the other posters were down loading , but can there be that much difference ?
tmsorosk
Tmsorosk-won't comment on PC Audio. I'm just a Novice at
experimenting with PC Audio. Used to own ML 360S. I
believe that was DAC requiring Power Cord be inserted in
center bottom panel-PITA! Toslink Input on 306S was just
so-so Sound Quality. ML did their best work with Balanced
Circuits. Used to use Transparent Digital AES/EBU on
Digital Input to ML DAC, along with Transparent Power Cord.
If you really like the ML DAC, and want to keep it, you
could try M2Tech EVO USB to Digital AES/EBU Converter. I
do believe it works with MAC and PC. Driver installation should be easier with MAC. You could try ML with and without Power Conditioner. Contacted ML once, they claimed Power Conditioners always fowled up the sound of their 360S. That was awhile back.
What Shardorne and 4est said. Also, talking to Apple guys about two channel is a complete waste of time. I've used firewire and toslink out of my Mini going to oversampling and NOS dacs while achieving amazing results with both.
The Mac is a terrific Music Server platform and there are lots of mods you can do to make them better. Your iMac should beat the heck out of mid-fi CD players.

We work with the MacMini's, and they sound fantastic. Many of the same mods can be made to the iMac, although I think the MacMini will have a lower noise floor because of the power supply differences and the fact that the Macmini doesn't have a monitor built in.

iTunes isn't a good player, so consider changing that. Turn off everything you can live without (software, hardware, ports).

Don't stop until you are spanking those mid-fi CD players. ;-)

Darrell
mach2music.com
I guess i'll go back to CDs , Had lots of info from Audiogoner's , and tried many things , but the sound off my Imac is still very low fi . Like to thank the posters for there support .