Luxman PD-171 turntable

This is the new-ish turntable by Luxman. Has anyone heard one or own one? Is it any good? Thanks.
dave_72

Showing 12 responses by dave_72

Bongofury, fair enough. I haven't seen the Luxman in person or have auditioned it. So, when I do, I will report my findings. Hopefully it will be on display @ CES.
That's cool, thanks for the info...I hope the US dist. will bring it over from Japan! We'll see what happens. Which tonearms would any of you recommend on this armless version?
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. It sounds like a real winner!
Review in Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/content/luxman-pd-171-record-player
Well, that's a good way to go. However, most of the good (and reputable)online dealers give you a 30 day money back guarantee, as they should. But yeah, to charge full list is kind of bogus. Perhaps you can haggle with some of them? Anyway, I heard that the Luxman dist. is lowering the prices on Luxman gear. Apparently not the PD-171 unfortunately!
Yes, Jelco makes arms for other companies! And I do believe it's the 750 on the PD-171. But, what's wrong with the 750? it looks like a pretty solid and well engineered tonearm. Anyway, the armless model is cool, but the question is, will the US dist. bring it over here (the US.)

This is a throwback to the 1970s when you could get similar technology from Thorens or Dual. I myself would pocket the 6,700 dollars and look for a classic. I just bought a Dual at an estate sale for 100 dollars, restored it top to bottom for 90, and put on a quality MM cartridge from Audio Technica.
Listened to the Luxman, on their 38 tubed amp, and it sounded about the same. A very quiet and reserved sound, yet my Dual has better grip on the bass notes to mid-range.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you are biased towards this turntable by the simple fact that you're poo pooing for not a very good reason. Yes, you listened to it, but it seems that going into it, you were too skeptical. An open mind is crucial to evaluating components subjectively.
Yeah, I understand. Personally, I do feel the prices *are* way too high on current high end components, but I'm always looking at the present and ahead. I don't really look back, unless the component can't be ignored. Yes, that is a stretch to call the Dual as good or better than this new-ish Luxman.
Thanks for the info Fjn04. Yes, there is an armless version of the PD-171. And I finally heard it with the Luxman Class A integrated and Vivid speakers. This was at the 12th meeting of the Las Vegas Audio Club (lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.com,) which I am the founder and President of. The distributor of Luxman himself put on the demo. Anyway, I found the turntable to be superb in build quality, and the sound was very neutral with a touch of warmth. Is it overpriced? Probably, but if you buy from Japan there are risks involved especially if you buy from sites like price japan(only a 1 year warranty from Japan, and which you have to send to Japan to get fixed.) also, no parts availability and no product support. and you have to run the units on transformers which degrade the sound.

Anyway, here is the link to that demo...enjoy.

http://lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.com/2014/07/our-twelfth-meeting.html
Hi Don,

Yes, it was a Jelco. Not sure if it was a 250 or 750. Ok, cool, let me know what he says, please. Thanks!

Ok, that's cool. Thanks again for the info! Is the SA-750 far superior? How much more is it with that arm? I would like to have it to, after hearing it this last summer! Best of luck on whatever you end up with!