Luxman PD-171 turntable

This is the new-ish turntable by Luxman. Has anyone heard one or own one? Is it any good? Thanks.
dave_72

Showing 2 responses by bongofury

This is a throwback to the 1970s when you could get similar technology from Thorens or Dual. I myself would pocket the 6,700 dollars and look for a classic. I just bought a Dual at an estate sale for 100 dollars, restored it top to bottom for 90, and put on a quality MM cartridge from Audio Technica.
Listened to the Luxman, on their 38 tubed amp, and it sounded about the same. A very quiet and reserved sound, yet my Dual has better grip on the bass notes to mid-range.
Dave 72 and Dayglow

I have been in the concert space for four decades and presently support artists in Asia, including Tokyo. I live between here and there. I have been a huge proponent of this brand, and frequently see their components in Japan and So Cal, where I live. I am very open to them, own their N100 setup, and you will see numerous postings by me, especially on that tube base system and the 590 integrated amp.

With that said, there is a 100% markup between Japan and here. My father owned a Garrard 301 for 30 years and I have the best heavy Dual platters from Germany made in the 1970s.

This Luxman has a similar platter configuration and I see very little difference in sound between them. You pay a good 3,500 just to have the US version, as the tt is 3,200 in Tokyo. No stretch: the truth.

If you like blowing money, it is a free world.