Luxman L-509X as a preamp

I have an Ayre VX-5 that I really enjoy. I am considering an Ayre KX-5 preamp to pair with it. I currently use a Rogue RH-5 and it sounds great. But I am thinking the KX-5 will have more synergy. I also have been kicking around the idea of having an integrated amp and like everything I see and hear about the Luxman L509X. I thought of picking one up and using it as a preamp for the VX-5. Has anyone else used this integrated as a pre? If so, what are your thoughts?

128x128re-lar-kvothe

OP:  Fritz and I talk about Luxmans with his speakers often.  I think they'll be a marvelous fit.

OP: 

by the way, curious what you liked more about the Luxman, since Ayre is often a brand I think about getting also.  What did you hear?

@erik_squires 

To be honest, there was nothing I didn't like about the Ayre pre/amp pairing. The sound was amazing. Likely the best set up I ever owned. However, I was looking for an integrated. I had a Boulder 866 which was very good but there were a couple idiosyncrasies I did not appreciate. No phonostage was one. The other was the DAC left a lot to be desired. That was a big issue for me. So, I traded it for the 509Z, even up. I paid $8K for the 866 so that translated to a good deal for the 509Z. The bonus was the 509Z combined with the A20 sounds better than the Boulder. I did not have the A20 with the Ayres so I cannot comment on that. I assume they would play nice together. IMHO, to my ears there is not a lot of difference between the Ayres and Luxman. If you can find a used VX-5 Twenty and a KX-5 Twenty for a decent price that would be a great way to go. Or new if you can swing it would be best.

One last thing, I did get a chance to hear the Ayre EX-8 2.0 and it too is an outstanding piece of gear. If you ever go integrated, it should be on your short list.

OP:

I have the Luxman 507ux already, and i love it, but Ayre is also a sound I have liked in the pas and sometimes think about.  I do think they are both smooth, extended and warm, but with Ayre I hear what seems a darker sound, like it takes noise out of the room and lets you hear more of the venue.  Maybe I'm nuts but that's what I hear and like about it.

Best,

E