Luxman Knockoffs or Counterfeits?

Living in the US, it has been very difficult finding a Luxman on the used market. I see lots of models on ebay selling from Japan. The listings look suspicious to me - different sellers with the exact same photo of the product; sometimes the same photo with one seller naming a different model number than another seller, but using the same photo.    

I found one Japanese ebay seller who seems to be legit, Monotokyo, based on seller reviews, but I am hesitant to rely on ebay seller reviews.  

Does anyone have information about Luxman knockoffs or counterfeits? 

audiojerry

A heck of a lot of people use voltage transformers successfully. The only issue is really cheap ones may hum.

My JVC Victor TT81 is 100V. I got a decent inexpensive 120/100 transformer. 120 comes from my Furman P18000 which has tremendous capacitor reserves; then to transformer 120/100 to TT.

My Luxman amp is 120v, but I would not hesitate to use a 100 v unit if either a good deal, or they are hard to find.

My only concern is if I forget and plug it into 120v by error

I can see OP dilemma over price disparities between US and Japan. When you see similar items from Japan priced 25-30% lower than US counterparts, it’s can be very enticing. But as @jjss49 pointed out, consider all those points before buying from Japan. Not to mention, you will have a tough time reselling the Japanese model in US.

Personally, I will never buy any grey market electronics that requires voltage conversion to operate properly.

Buyer beware, I thought I found a deal on a pair of speakers from Japan. Did my due diligence. In the end it it turned out to be a scam. The sellers know this, send me your money and they are gone. Especially on a larger ticket item. Us laws don’t apply!!! Not to mention shipping costs, damage issues, etc. if you really want it , buy it. Don’t complain if you got taken. I wouldn’t do it. 

We all should be careful with stuff common in other countries but in US not only if we buying from abroad. I remember the story of one guy who bought 30K Burmester amp with appears to be switched EU market 220V OEM transformer to non OEM chip US voltage transformer and he bought it from legit reputable dealer.