Luxman EQ-500

Wondering if anyone has/had the Luxman EQ-500 phono stage?

What cartridge are you using with it?

What settings are you using with it?  Gain: 36/36/40 dB, hi-mc or low-mc, loading, etc?

Any noise or tube rush or hum?

Have you tried any outboard SUT's with it?

How does this phono stage compare with others that you've had?

Thanks much,
Don
no_regrets

Showing 1 response by oranfoster

Hello,
    I've had one for about a year and am in love with it. Here is one reason why. I had cleaned an old box set of Beethoven Piano Concertos, I don't have it with me to be more specific at the moment, but the 50 year old vinyl was pristine. Playing along at a decent volume (Accuphase integrated and ATC speakers) I was transported like I have rarely been. Then a crescendo nearly blew my socks off (the ATC's and powerful integrated helped too). But that's not the reason! A bit later on in the record, an EXTREMELY quiet passage played. I was amazed that the engineers so successfully captured such a quiet passage, and that I could enjoy it as Beethoven must have intended. The notes were still alive with musicality, but just a whisper of sound. Turning up the volume to too high reveals the hiss generated by the Lux. When it finally becomes audible, nothing but respect comes to this listener's mind to the talented engineers that designed the circuits. The tiny 'rush' audible with the volume turned way up is quieter, more harmonious, and weirdly reassuring compared to the somewhat louder self-noice that emanated from the Parasound JC3+ that I bought new and had to sell here because even that was too noisy for me. 
    I have it between a Luxman PD-171 turntable with an Ortofon Cadenza Black and an Accuphase E-470. Speakers are the ATC 40's. A  Bryston 15 amp isolation transformer keeps the juice flowing clean.

It's past my bedtime, but I have more to share about it if interested.

Regards,
Oan