LSA VT-150

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the LSA VT-150 tube amp?  I’m considering jumping on the tube bandwagon and was wondering would this be a good consideration?

FWIW - speaker wise I have a pair of Klipsch Forte 1s which I’ve just restored and a pair of B&W 805s. 

And before I forget, may I wish you all a Happy, Safe and prosperous New Year!

dazzat

I have not heard the amp. But I think some judgement can be made on the basis of reviews of some of their other products like the LSA VT-70… which has been professionally reviewed and other sources. Looking at the history of products, typically the sound quality over product generations will stay the same or get better. Particularly at this modest price, it seems like a very safe bet.

I've had a LSA VT-70 for about 6 months now and really enjoy it. It has performed flawlessly with a pair of Spendor 4/5 bookshelf speakers which are only 84 dB sensitive. It has no problem playing them well past my desired average listening level of around 85 dB.

I guess my question is, with your Forte's, which are 98 dB efficient, why are you going for the extra power of the VT-150?

MLSSTL - playing it safe, since I’m currently unsure if the Fortes will be keepers.

If you are unsure whether your speakers are permanent… then I would make no further investments until they are fixed. Speakers first… then choose your electronics to support them or you have a incredibly difficult and complex problem to solve.

OK, but even the VT-150 has its limits at 60 watts/channel if you like 90 or 100+ dB listening volumes and end up with inefficient speakers or some that are current hogs.  I'm old-school, but believe in settling on speakers before deciding on an amp. 

But, back to LSA tube amps, they are good. I like my VT-70 and wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their other units.

@ghdprentice I understand and agree, start with speakers. So let me rephrase, my primary speakers are the 805s. The fortes were acquired as a restoration project, which I may or may not keep. If I do decide to keep, they will be more than likely go into a secondary system.

@mlsstl its not just about volume, more about having sufficient headroom. But I appreciate your recommendation. Thank you.

Ok, I see. The 805’s (Rev 4?) 85 db, 80 wpc tube. That should be appropriate. This should have the current to drive them. To me the headroom issue is typically more of an issue with solid state amps. They tend to be so fast that they can use peaks of power more quickly and run out. With tube amps they tend to be a little slower, which gives you more realistic and detailed bass, they are more natural sounding, but have less slap in the face. This is one of the usual characteristics of tubes that is attractive.

Very late reply but I am very satisfied with my VT-150. Had it for the last 6 months and really impressed with the sound quality.