LS50 vs R11/7/5 Meta

I have the LS50s (non meta) since it launched many years ago.  Since then, I've upgraded around the Ls50s -- Parasound Hint6, Mogami wire / interconnects, Technics TT.   For me, the only issue has been that the LS50s are too small for my room, but they're just too a good a platform that I really couldn't want for anything more.    The R series and LS60s have recently piqued my interest.  LS60s are not for me as they are powered and I want a separate amp.  So, I'm wondering if anyone has experience upgrading from the LS50s to something in the R line?  

128x128martinman

Years ago I demoed the LS50 (before meta) vs Kef R700. To me they sounded similar but the R700 has a deeper extension.  Since then, the R700 has been replaced with the R7.

If the OP likes his LS50, maybe a used R700, R900, or the newer R7.

Weare a kef dealer the ls50s were great in their day the Metas r3 are a far more advanced design they do everything better then the ls50s  

adding subs to originals will not equil r3 or r5 and especially r11

the new r series come close to the reference line although the references are still more amazing

Dave and Troy

audio intellect nj

full line Kef dealer

The ls60s are quite appealing, but I can’t get by the non-analog setup.  Yah it know - it’s crazy.  

I always thought I would come around to the ls60s at some point - now is probably as good a time as any to dive in.  About 1/2 of my listening is analog source, so I think my (unreasonable) issues are that of analog purity…. I mean, no power amp, no speaker cables, less is more I bet.   Selling my current setup and I’m more than half way there. 

I prefer small jazz and classical groups, but I tried selections of Aida and Mahler's 2nd using the LS60.  The sound was awesome.  The LS60s can get big when asked to do so.  I think their dynamics may exceed that of my Reference 1s driven by the Ayre VX-5 Twenty, and the sound remained pure and unstrained.  My Thorens 124 with SME III and Ortofon is connected to the LS60, but I've yet to try it, because I rarely spin vinyl. 

@martinman What do you mean by 'too small for my room'? Not reaching the SPL you desire? In the mid range or bass? or just 'not loud enough'? I did not see a subwoofer in your equipment list. I use a subwoofer (in both of my systems, one very large, one normal room); do you think a sub would help your problem? 

I am considering small (bookshelf, stand) speakers for my large system, since they are often known for providing a wide and deep sound stage and imaging.