Looking for the next level in imaging...

I enjoy my system every time I sit down and listen. But as we all do, we get the itch to seek improvement!  I am intrigued by Omnidirectional speakers such as MBL’s, German Physiks etc. and breaking free from the head in a vice sweet spot to get better imaging throughout the room and better the imaging in the sweet spot!  I believe changing the speaker will deliver on this quest!  What speakers would you look at? Or would changing a component yield the result? Has anyone gone from the traditional dispersion speaker to an omnidirectional?

current speakers are Martin Logan Ethos

budget $20-30K...could stretch if something is exceptional

polkalover

BTW, the other speakers in the room include the modified JBL L200s (with increased cabinet volume, L300 long horns, slot tweeters, revised crossovers), one-off Big Red Supers (Altec 604E2s/Utah aux woofers) triamped with one-off electronic crossover and Marantz power amps), and Chartwell LS3/5As.

Room is 26’ x 16’ x 7.5-16 feet and about 5,000 cu ft.

None of these other speakers soundstage/image like the "Mermans" (so named for Ethel because of her loud and clear voice and disrespect for authority).

mikelavigne

a more traditional 2 way dynamic speaker system might be best for this priority.

Agreed. Below are the MBL's best (with a master tape source), an original music, and WTA.  Alex/WTA

MBL

Original music

WTA

@polkalover Wrote:

Looking for the next level in imaging...

''Among the chief performance parameters we have identified are uniform polar response and directivity, smooth power response and low distortion. A secondary requirement is for accurate stereophonic imaging at close-in listening positions in the studio control room. A new family of constant directivity horns has formed tho basis of a new approach to monitor design, and we will now describe two monitor loudspeakers embodying them.''

See full article here

Mike

No ownership of anything at this level, but my guru says the MBLs are among the  best sounding speakers available, but also says they're hard to drive and are brutally revealing, so need top amplification.

He's also quite positive about the Clarysis Audio speakers.

The same guy uses Magico S5 MkIIs, but cost may be part of the equation in that selection.

IMHO omnidirectional speakers present a wide, deep sound stage but smear imaging.  Vivid Giya series is my recommendation.  Others I have heard are Borrensen, KEF Blades, Raidho, and Wilson.  My experience is also electronics play a critical part.  I did not realize the full potential of my Vivids sound staging and imaging until I upgraded from Krell to Burmester.  Eye opening.  Also power conditioning made a significant improvement in realizing the full potential.  Finally, follow the well written recommendations from @audiokinesis and @mikelavigne - gentlemen, well said.