Looking for Blues with High Fidelity

I recently listened to Eric Clapton’s “Me and Mr. Johnson” and really appreciated the guitar playing and the quality of the recording.  What are some of your favorite Blues recordings?

kentroller

+1 for ANY Robben Ford.

+1 for "Dot.com Blues".

+1 for Gary Moore 

I'd thrown in a suggestion for Coco Montoya (used to play drums for Albert Collins then went on to play guitar for John Mayall after being taught by Collins....).

I'd further throw in most of Joey DeFrancesco's B3 work, especially an album he did with Danny Gatton titled "Relentless".  It's a desert island Top 10 of mine.

Lonnie Mack had some great stuff.

Lastly, I'd highly recommend Savoy Brown's "Street Corner Talking".

Analogue Productions was mentioned earlier.  It's also worth highlighting that around the turn of the century they did a series of all-analog, direct to two-track recordings in Salinas, Kansas, of blues artists, and released them to stereo SACD discs.

Those SACDs are currently offered at Acoustic Sounds for $5.00 each.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&categoryid=8&orderby=price%5Fd%20asc&GenreID=1

Jimmie Lee Robinson / All My Life CAPO 2011 SA
Original Price: $25.00
$5.00

Henry Townsend - My Story - Hybrid Stereo SACD CAPO 2014 SA
$5.00

Harry 'Big Daddy' Hypolite - Louisiana Country Boy - Hybrid Stereo SACD CAPO 2016 SA
$5.00

Wild Child Butler - Sho' 'Nuff - Hybrid Stereo SACD CAPO 2015 SA
$5.00

Honeyboy Edwards - Shake 'Em On Down - Hybrid Stereo SACD
$5.00

“East/West” Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

I stopped wasting my time with Clapton back in 1973. 

The new release by MoFi on their 'One Step' process from Muddy Water, 'Folk Singer' is probably the best sounding blues album I have heard. If you can source one, it is a great listen, not just for SQ, but for music as well.

I would add to the CD list above, which are all excellent, the following:

Little Hatch, 'Rock with me baby'.  This one is extraordinary.

I stopped wasting my time with Clapton back in 1973.

Well, some pretty good guitarists didn’t, including Buddy Guy and B. B. King. What’s your problem with Clapton? Yes, that’s Bloomfield in the picture and here's what he thought about Clapton:

Rolling Stone:.You were telling me that Eric Clapton was a perfect guitarist. What makes you think that?

Mike Bloomfield: His attack is flawless, that’s one of the things. A perfect musician is dedicated. He has ideas, attack, touch, ability to transmit emotion and abillity to transmit his ideas. His ability to transmit his ideas and his emotion logically is kineticism; he can build. Eric does all of these about as well as you can do them. It shows in the area that he plays that his attack is perfect. His tone is vocal; his ideas are superb; he plays almost exclusively blues–all the lines he plays in the Cream are blues lines. He plays nothing but blues; he’s a blues guitarist and he’s taken blues guitar to its ultimate thing. In that field he’s B. B. King cum the Freddie King and Ernie Cahill style of guitar playing. Eric is the master in the world. That is why he is a perfect guitarist. Eric plays in bad taste when he wants to. He can play crappy. But, like, Eric plays almost exclusively perfect.

No photo description available.